Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Silver Dollar Set- Eye Candy ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 911Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1385 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:23 pm Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
please be a conservative grader with this set.
I assure you the coins are white and the cent is deep copper.
since this is outside my collecting interest I do have some serious questions about the set. might these coins be Specimen?
If it was yours, what would you do:

A: sell these individually?
B: sell these as a set?
C: would you get them graded
D: if yes, ICCS or CCCS?
E: what grades would you give them?

Thank you all for your input
H

Edited by 47P7
05/13/2021 6:29 pm
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look gorgeous but imho not nearly high enough resolution on each picture to accurately grade them. They look like they are likely 65-67 mostly but very small details could drop them down a grade or two easily.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3396 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins, if they were mine, I would have ICCS grade them. Then I may sell them, or I most likely i'd keep them..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
740 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice PL coins....some even with cameo....get ICCS to grade them.....any spectacular grades, you can always decide to get PCGS to certify if to max out your resell value is your goal. I would keep them myself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1109 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No specimen coins were struck in 1955.

I'd say these are at least PL-66
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah look like most are 66 or 67 to me too but the low resolution could be hiding some problems so I'm hesitant to give grades on any of them.

If the dollar is 66 or higher and cameo it could be worth a lot. They all look like they could have cameo to some degree but impossible to tell how much without seeing them at different angles.

It's almost always worth more to break the set and sell individually. I agree with silver though, I'd keep them myself. ICCS is the cheapest option for sure. I'd almost be tempted to send the dollar into PCGS after if it graded high with ICCS and has cameo. While ICCS has a decent reputation in Canada I have to believe it's taken a hit in recent years. If it was me buying it I'd buy any higher value items in PCGS slabs before I'd buy them in ICCS flips. Too much gets past ICCS.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8428 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful set of PL coins!
Likely PL66 at least.
More money if sold individually.
I would send them to ICCS, not worth sending to PCGS unless you are absolutely certain they are PL67 cameo or better.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful set H, I'd keep them if they were mine.

I agree selling them separately would be better.
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to remember to look at these on my computer and not on my phone. lol.

I'd say there is some potential for the half and maybe the quarter for 68 even. You don't see a lot of 68's from back then but that half in particular is very nice looking. If it's as nice as it looks in the photo it's definitely a minimum of 67.

Very, very nice set!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1072 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely beautiful set. the Half and the quarter could be 68's with the rest falling in between 65-67.
I would keep them as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1385 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Fellows,
I have other sets of at least equal (IMO) quality.
1956, 57, and 60, and a few more with some coins similar to that, especially the 50 cents pieces.
If you like, I can post the images. (it would sort of take over this forum for a day or two. the mods might not like that)
But my issue is, as said before, It is outside my serious interest.
Question: When has ICCS issued a 67 or 68 grade for a PL coin?[/b]PCGS would simply be way to cumbersome, shipping, customs and $$$. ( and NGC is not an option for me)
Valued Member
Canada
82 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you search on eBay right now in all canadian coins and filter by ICCS PL (67,68) you get 21 hits. Admittedly more than half of them are modern, but there are 8 or 10 that are from the 50's and 60's. All 67 though. So they do issue them, just not a lot. If the dollar graded high enough and has a cameo it's worth sending to PCGS and ask for a CAM designation. The rest to ICCS or leave raw depending on your preference. If you don't want to send to PCGS yourself send them to Sandy Campbell and he will submit for you. Prepare to wait a while as PCGS can be pretty slow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3621 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If these are proof-like, why do you want them certified. Almost every one issued in packing would be 67 or above. Only if they would grade them as MS coins would it be worthwhile to submit a few but, even then, it may be good money after bad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3927 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When has ICCS issued a PL 68 for an early PL coin ?
Once that I am certain of ......
in 1989 I purchased a 1956 Original in card set at
the spring CICF show in Chicago from Glenn
Schenke , an American coin dealer . Paid him
140 US for the set at the time .
The Dollar was spectacular so I broke the set
and sent it to ICCS , it came back PL68 and
was / is currently the finest graded by ICCS .
I subsequently sold the coin at a North Vancouver show
for just under three grand all in to a prominent collector.
Not sure if there are any other PL 68 Early dollars graded by ICCS.
As to grades on H set as pictured, probably best to send to ICCS .
The 2 coins that have a shot at a 7 in my opinion are the 50 cents and the 25 cents . The rest should end up as 66 . Wonderful set indeed.
A bit of a background on these early PL sets . The quality control on these 1954 to 1960 sets did leave a lot to be be desired and quality with regards to current standards generally run from PL 64 to PL66 , with not a lot
of HCam or UH Cameo coins available .
The best shot at an original Gem Quality set is 1956 followed by 1955.
The worst quality 1957 . 1954 can be all over the map , 1958 generally
quite attractive . In 1959 and 1960 the quality of these sets improved dramatically .
Edited by Pacificoin
05/15/2021 09:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1385 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oakie,
why grading? they will sell better in a ICCS flip.
when I bought these (9 sets) the price was right. and as you all know, if a graded coin is a 65 or a 66 or even a 67, can make a huge price difference.

For the last month, I have been selling my low end and plus my "not suitable" items on the bay. Will hopefully end up with only good stuff by the fall or year-end.

Pacific,
you are a walking Numusmatik encyclopedia.
How did you get all that knowledge?

thank you all for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3927 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@47P7.......The school of hard knocks !
LOL
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 911Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05