Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Authentic Ptolemaic Tetradrachm?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I recently spotted this rather rough Ptolemaic tetradrachm for sale by a reputable dealer. Although I do not have the weight, the coin is silver and feels correct in hand.
Based upon these photos (sorry if they are a tad blurry), would you think that this is an authentic tetradrachm? Based upon the visible text, can you determine which ruler this would be? And based upon the edge surface, is this coin likely formerly mounted as jewelry?

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18524 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it looks to be rough and perhaps a bit dodgy, I have a hunch that it may still be nevertheless genuine.
Could have been silver plated, but I don't think so.

There is a rough spot above the eagle's head that gives you a window on the core of the coin. The roughness may? could? be explained by silver crystallization, in which case the coin would be fragile, and should be handled with care. A pendant mount may have been snapped off at this point, but an equal explanation could be that a small piece of metal has been chipped off.

The coin could have been in jewelry at some point, but that doesn't matter much anymore, to my way of thinking.

There are some large pits on the coin, all of the same size, two on the obverse, one on the reverse. These need further investigation.

Need to find the weight. Silver slightly denser than copper alloys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l - Thank you very much for your help with this coin. I must admit that I am not very versed in Ptolemaic tetradrachms. Can you determine the ruler stated on the coin?

Also, what would be a reasonable price for this coin? Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
23549 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also believe it is genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echizento - Thanks!

Does anyone know which ruler is stated on this coin? And what would be a reasonable price for this coin? The dealer presently has it listed as $300, which I believe to be rather high.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18524 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $300 in this condition, I agree that the price is a bit over par, compared to similar coins in this condition.

As with most coin collectors, whatever I have to spend is discretionary money. Therefore, I allow myself lots of time and price research effort to buy the best value for money that I can, that is within my budget. That is where the fun of the hunt lies.

Have a good search for other alternative opportunities, before doing further research and deciding on this one.
If you miss out that is OK, there are quite a few other Ptolemaic tetradrachms to be found for sale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I might refrain from comment
But in this case I will
Assuming the coin to be real (I honestly cannot be sure) it really lacks the most important thing I want in an ancient coin
Eye appeal !
The portrait seems decent enough but Ptolemy is rather aged looking too
The reverse Eagle is missing his ferocious looking profile and the scratches on the body are unattractive
Too many points of ..... disappointment !
For 300 clams I would rather be pointing to the things I like about an ancient
Paying too much is not really a crime if your are very pleased with your "trophy"
Even paying more for a pretty one would be good
I think you might do much better waiting for the right one to come along

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l & FVRIVS RVFVS - Thanks for the help! I appreciate your input. Yes, I agree that it is not a great looking coin and that $300 is too high.

So, was this coin minted during the reign of Ptolemy I? Or was it minted during the reign of a later ruler? Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attribution of these types is based almost completely on the monograms and field markings
The sellers pics are fairly miserable in quality
I tried playing with the contrast and lighting but to no avail
About the only thing you can determine is it would be either Ptolemy I II or III
Which is another good reason to 'punt' on this one !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FVRIVS RVFVS - Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. To be honest, I have held this coin in hand, and the monograms are pretty much gone. The fields on the reverse are pitted, worn, scratched, and harshly cleaned in some areas.

So, it is good to know that the identifiers are lacking.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05