Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 P Lincoln LWC With Really Neat Earring Like Die Chip

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 316Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just bought this and another coin from this particular seller. The other I'll probably wait to post until I get it in hand. I've never seen this particular die chip especially on a MS65Red coin!

Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a close up pic please?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is raised or incuse. If incuse, it is damage. If it raised it might be a chip. But I don't recall ever seeing a die chip on the ear. It is probably damage as that area is the top of the mountain on that design. (meaning it is a target, for a hit to the coin)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do they grade this an MS? It looks like the start of a cracked skull? It's a beautiful coin but detail is lost on the skull and hairline. Still learning here. And what about the shoulder?
Edited by VestigeWolf
05/13/2021 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a close up of the ear. Definitely a die chip and vestige wolf the quality of the die has some factor in the grading process. This die combo probably couldn't produce a coin with a grade higher than a 66 RD. Saying that a mint state coin is a mint state coin regardless of the condition of the dies it was struck with. Very common with wheats especially the 20's S mint coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is not clear glue is it? (Hopefully as it could come off) Or something else on the coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3395 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen that one before. Nifty!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth an acetone soak?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I would soak a slab in acetone.

My first thought looking at this photo is strike through. Seems too rounded to be any sort of die break.

Would like to see more pics once you get it in hand!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't soak it without cracking it out of the case. Lol

And tanman yes more pictures once I get it in hand.
Edited by Willburton
05/13/2021 10:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to in the slab. I would leave it as it is. Here is the certification sheet for it:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/41351527
$18 dollars their price.

A price one sold for:
https://www.PCGS.com/auctionprices/...853342463204

Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it doesn't have a picture or reference to the die chip. If that is what it is. Shouldn't they have at least stated that? Still learning here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5989 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
die chip. If that is what it is.

It's a die chip.

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well they only keep their files so long. If they posted every coin they have slabed. It would take years to find what you really need to see. I know it is frustrating to not find the image, but I always look to see if they image is on file before I would buy the coin. Their prices, I feel are not real. But the link I post was also on that site, for previous auctions. All the specs link of your certificate. (the auction bids are below that page)
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well guys there was a reason none of you am had seen this particular die chip. The reason being is that it is a struck through error. Surprised me!

It may look like a chip in the picture but under microscope it's a well placed strike through. I'm just as satisfied as I would have been with the chip!
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bogiesmokes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome looking Lincoln right there...
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05