Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929-S Walking Liberty Half For Grading Opinions

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,127Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9649 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Missed the scratch too. details MS scratched
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58324 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Missed that as well. Not sure how it would affect the grade. Still a super coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the reason for posting was to see if anyone thinks it might get net graded for the machine damage, rather than an automatic details. Any thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15418 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow , to tell you the truth I didn't take that as a scratch or even a damage that would detail the coin . A lot of us missed it because it is such a minute mark on that coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one has a better than average chance coming back in an UNC details holder
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15418 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this one has a better than average chance coming back in an UNC details holder

I disagree .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is one of those that may be more obvious in hand. Lighting in the pics may be minimizing some of the reflectivity you typically see from a scratch or wheelmark. In hand, held at an angle under direct light may show it more obvious. Nothing at all against Zurie's pics, they're great!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58324 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It won't get net graded for the machine damage. It will be thumbs up or down.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15418 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie , I'm anxious to see what PCGS says . Please post when you get this coin back .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's actually not that obvious in hand, either. It's a shallow, thin scrape across the letters that has the same reflectivity and color as the rest of the letters. But if it's going to be a thumbs up or down decision like @coinfrog said, it might not pass muster. Now I'm having second thoughts about sending it in, because it just doesn't deserve to be in a details holder. I might have to enjoy it as is...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58324 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin, worth the grading fee, imo. You can always crack it. I say go for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@zurie, thanks for clarifying. Hmmm, now I'm on the fence. They may net it down depending on how obvious the mark going into the field is. Do you have any more shots of this one?

I'd probably take a shot at sending it in if it were mine. Regardless, it's a great looking example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you're right, I can always crack it out. Here's a couple close ups with the light at a different angle. If I do send it in, I will definitely update this thread.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15418 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With these close up photos ; It's a no brainer , send it
in by all means .
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at it for nearly an hour yesterday and thought to myself...I'd send it in.
Looking fwd to the results!
smat
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,127Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05