Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 CC . Maybe . Morgan #278 . Opinions Please - New Picture

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 591Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Before you poo poo it, just remember that PCGS says that this P001 Morgan if it's a CC is worth $725 retail. Yeah, really!
This is the Morgan I picked up in an eBay auction just 3 days ago for $30. The seller said it was an 1880, and it turned out to be an 1889, and the seller didn't mention a mint mark. Well I've enlarged it and looked at it through every power loupe I have, photographed it and compared it. So I'm hoping some of you really take their time looking at this and tell me whatever is on your mind once your done looking.

The second to the last picture is my sharpened and darkened picture of the mint mark area, and it sure does look to me like I'm seeing the tops of two C's exactly where they should be. The last picture is a 89 CC to compare. Here is what PCGS requires for a P001 Grade:

"At PCGS, a coin assigned a grade of Poor 1 is a coin that has most of the design and date missing due to excessive wear from circulation. However, in most cases the coin has to be identifiable by its date, mint mark and type before PCGS assigns it a grade of Poor 1."

I am sure that PCGS has much better forensic ability than me, and I'd like to send it in if there is a consensus as to whether or not that might be CC.

So what all do you think (can't wait to hear the remarks).

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/15/2021 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that it is an O and not a CC but then again I am not familiar enough with Morgans.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58113 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say O or S, not CC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2998 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing enough evidence to identify the mint mark, but there does look like there may have been a mint mark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to lean towards an S on this one, but tough to say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also lean towards an S, but it's honestly no more than a guess. I was trying to match the date position with the known obverse dies for 89-CC, but it's just too worn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8032 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see how the CC would align with any known CC mintmark already known? This one seems to almost touch the left ribbon if it is a CC, yet no known mintmarks are even remotely that close to the ribbon. Take a good look at the photos at vamworld and see what I mean. As much as I'd love for it to be the real deal, I'm not seeing it either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
9736 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an S to me as well...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
9631 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that there may have been a mm but it was an O or S if it was.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
5940 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is an "s" mint marked coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, seems like nobody is seeing the tops of the C C's that I think I'm seeing. So I enlarged the best that I could of the area right below the wreath and placed a real older CC right next to my P001 ............ now can somebody see what I think I'm seeing, the tops of both C's?

I think that the wreath since it was prominent kept that area right below it from wearing away like everything else and that's why I see two C tops there. And I cannot see any S or O like many of you mentioned you think you're seeing. So here it is.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you're seeing, but if you look at your 4th photo and compare with your 6th photo, you'll see that those marks are too small and too high to be the top of a CC mintmark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2998 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets take the position that those are the tops of the CC's. The photo you posted of the CC's does not match as the coin's second CC is lower. There is a dropped C variety, but the coin's CC's do not match the cavity of the wreath. Below is a photo of a 1889 CC dropped C.

Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you'll see that those marks are too small and too high to be the top of a CC mint mark.

But this coin has been used and abused for 131 years, and not only has it worn but I'm sure over it's life it's been smashed and stepped on and maybe run over a few times so I'm not surprised that the cavity, especially on the left side looks a little compressed an therefore the left C closer to the top.

Quote:
Lets take the position that those are the tops of the CC's. The photo you posted of the CC's does not match as the coin's second CC is lower

If you look at the larger picture where you can see the full bow at the bottom of the wreath, you'll see that I photographed it a bit crooked, lower on the right side and that could account for why it looks like the second C is lower.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took your 4th and 6th photos and matched the size and position of the bow and wreath exactly. It's pretty obvious to me that those bumps are too high and too small to be part of a CC mintmark.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5940 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you think it is a CC then send it in for authentication and grading.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 591Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05