Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 Barber Quarter PCGS MS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 360Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the 1911 I picked up last week, very pleased with it in hand, the GC photo's were adequate but the old auction archive photo's from 2018 were better, I made my bid based on those old pics.The strike on the reverse is what sold me. Love to hear what you think about obv vs rev thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is sure pretty, that reverse is super clean, heck the whole thing is. Good buy imo.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58262 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those scratches are on the coin and not the holder, I'll say MS-63.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15411 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either Mid Die State or it looks like there can be slight wear on obverse hair cap and ear . Also on reverse ; Feather tips are soft ,so is middle of tail feathers . AU-58+- MS63 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2466 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is quite attractive. Some slight weakness on the high points that TBop pointed out. Overall nice example! I'm with the others, MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8062 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a solid MS63 for sure. Anything lower then they dropped the boat. Could see it MS63+ or maybe MS64 as well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
9750 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That reverse is spectacular. Not very often you see an example from the Barber shop this nice. MS63
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Bowers: "guide book barber silver coins" 2nd edition 2019 pg.172 he notes "some will display a reverse that is a point or two finer than the obverse.This is because the intricacies of the reverse design tended to protect the fields from abrasions".
This one looks like a textbook example of that comment he further observes Bowers 2019: "that even a slight amount of handling will result in scuffing and marking of the check of Miss Liberty. Most probably, pieces freshly put into commercial channels from bank bags were what collectors would call MS-63 or even less".
If a Barber quarter properly graded at MS-63 looks this nice cant wait to find a true MS-65 gem! Love them all especially the 1890's branch issues. I get a big kick out of these low spotlight beauties.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58262 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good detective work!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse 62+, Reverse 65 so MS-63 seems like the right grade. Or 64 depending on how much you weight a reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at 64. Nice coin. A few marks on the obverse but good looking for sure.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
8062 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If a Barber quarter properly graded at MS-63 looks this nice cant wait to find a true MS-65 gem!

Just wait until you get a MS67 or MS68 in hand someday! They are out there, I've held a few.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05