Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Denver Mint Lincoln Cent With (In God We Trust) Touching The Border.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 216Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to searching for errors in coins. This one peaked my interest. On the obverse of the coin (IN GOD WE TRUST) is touching the border of the coin. Is this an error or just a coin distorted over time. I look forward to your input on this topic and thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just circulation flattening, unfortunately. Keep searching!
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the response.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too, advanced Die Deterioration is in-play.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5975 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Numisma, no mint error, simply circulation flattening. Keep searching!

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58111 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15389 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , one of the most common things on a Lincoln Cent that newbies notice is Letters merging in or close to edge of coin . No added value .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51586 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They story for this is that the hub master hub was swelling. So all of the 1968 cents (even proofs) have the devices on the rims. The following year the created a new, new master hub with out the swelling.

Thus when you see the 1969 cents they don't have that issue until the next time it need to be replaced, which was in 1982. That year we have a large and small date. The the swelling created the large date dies and the new, new master hub created the small dates. They all come off the same copy, but the swelling from years of continuing to the the old master hub, to create new master hub for those years have swelling issues. I haven't noticed same issues on the new single squeeze dies, so they are creating new master hubs each year. Probably the 1982 was was that one created that way. Quarters also had the same issue in 1982. In 1983 they replaced the old master hub and created a new one. (That probably the last time that happened also. Because they waited until 1983 there were no large and small dates on the quarters.

Note how the swelling of the master hubs enlarged the devices and bust on both years I posted.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/14/2021 6:28 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you this is very informative.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05