Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 Jefferson Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 220Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add F3wiki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any ideas what this might be?
I got this in my change today. It is the correct diameter of a nickel. It is the thickness of a dime. The weight is only 3.05g. It is not magnetic. The reverse is blank.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52433 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The was struck normal. Some one sanded/shaved off the reverse. So it is now a damaged coin. Not a mint error. What is the clue it is not a mint error? Weight, the rim is missing from the reverse, fine coin scratches on the reverse. The mint doesn't make them like that, but in a garage someone else made it that way.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59484 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, deliberately defaced.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, looks ground then polished to get rid of the grinding line - just didn't get rid of the deeper ones. Probably trying to create an error coin
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add F3wiki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured as much. Thanks for the response
Pillar of the Community
United States
4817 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool example nonetheless. May want to save it as an interesting oddity.
Learn More...
United States
34297 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet someone else saved it as an "interesting oddity" until they died or got tired of saving it.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05