Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Cent 1881 Doubling Letters Legend

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 774Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
270 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Got this one from my LCS. Some letters in legend are double or re-punched. I try to find some informations to have better identification of this variety.

Any help is very appreciate.
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do an archive search on here. There are a number of mechanical or machine doublings that affect different letters. There is also some specific repunching involved as well to some letters. If you do an archive search on here, the '81's have been discussed quite a bit. In the 2011 65th edition of Charlton, we made 7 pages covering some of the different anomalies that you'll find, but there are many more. To start with, since the 81'& 82's started out with the mint using 1876 Obverse dies, the N's are sometimes very sloppily repunched. Look for the Micro "D" in Dei, triple punched N's, some nicely offset heavy punch doubling, some doublings "around-the-clock" meaning ALL letters involved. 1881's are almost as fun to collect all the varieties as are the 1859's.
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one that falls into the 'round the clock' group. It is actually mismatched punches over most of the letters. This is one of my favorites in the 81's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1745 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the 1881's are fun to collect with all the varieties in this year it takes a while to find all or most.

Happy Hunting
Valued Member
Canada
270 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dan in crystal lake,

Is it possible to send you a PM, I would have some questions for you?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can PM me and I can answer any '81 question. I'm not sure if Dan checks in every day.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of the neat anomalies that you can/will find with the 1881's: I can't seem to find some of the old photos of the mangled N's or oddly repunched letters.

Edited by okiecoiner
05/16/2021 8:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And IF you are very very lucky, you may find one of these:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1745 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent bunch of fairly hard to find varieties to search for the SSN being the very hardest to find of them all if you find any in Mint State condition you have a treasure.

Happy Hunting
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of more 1881's that are worth looking for. Both are pretty scarce.

This one has repunched D and N's.

This one is sometimes called double spur N, but it's a nice RTC (round the clock doubling)

Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All great examples of why '81 is a fun year to collect.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1378 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Papeldog,
I 100% agree with you.
Now, You, and most here are aware of my 1887 (everything) RTC on both sides. U recently posted an image of it.
which do you think is the more desirable
the 1881 or the 1887?
tough question right?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1745 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a hard question to answer, I would have to say the 1881 as I have seen a few of them.

Your 1887 I love it but its the only one that I have seen like it and very desirable you have a treasure maybe one of a kind.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it's the few 1881 RTC's that are the most desirable because they can have hub doubling, with Mechanical Doubling and some individual letters handpunched, most with a large offset. I still think that the ;87 was MD with the coin loose in its holders. The planchet may not have even been fully seated into the striking position when the dies first struck. Maybe that could be the reason why you say double-struck ... it doesn't look like any DS I've ever seen but, you Roger, have seen many
Pillar of the Community
Canada
903 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
47P7 I'm not really sure you can compare the two, if memory serves me your coin was Machine Doubling where the 1881 is a mixed font variety.
Both are very desirable but it's really apples and oranges too me.
Here's the mixed font from 1881.

Cheers, Bill

Edited by Hounddog Bill
05/18/2021 3:00 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9744 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil310 - whatever lighting and camera setup you are using, it is fantastic. Those are superb photos!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05