Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 S Wheat Penny - Cud Errors Or Worn From Wear?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  02:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add alphapackwhisper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!

I'm a new coin collector and I've got some interesting find from an inherited collection from my dad after he passed. I'm just learning and I've been looking lots into different error coins and some favorites or rareties. I actually have a nice size collection I can build and am adding my own.

I've watched lots of video to get right in to the trade. It's fun and I actually feel like my father would be proud of me ;)

Here's my first piece on where I'm questioning a legit error versus wear and tear and some kind of guck? I admire this one.

Thank you so much. It get's confusing with all the different kind of errors a coin can have. I have more to post on that but one at a time.

Jeannine

I hope I posted in the correct forum. Just learning to nagivate the site.

Edited by alphapackwhisper
05/15/2021 02:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39373 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. I see no CUDS,can you point out what looks like a CUD please? It might be a minor MAD=misaligned die? Also, if it was a CUD it would be a variety as is a MAD, not errors.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11732 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

and

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10179 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

If you are referring to the cuts on the rim on the reverse, they are not cud's,
that is damage, looks like someone has intentionally cut them.
A cud would be raised on the rim.

FYI-A photo of a cud
Edited by JimmyD
05/15/2021 08:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4290 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with JimmyD. Cuds typically appear as swollen, raised blobs. Perform a google image search using the term 'coin cud'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1854 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 cuds are actually not varieties either since they aren't part of the die when it's created. They're a die event.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39373 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did a bit of research and according to http://www.error-ref.com/?s=die+cud they call it a die error? I'm not sure I agree with them, but...
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58066 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can see is deliberate damage to the reverse rim.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51566 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incuse marks on the rim are damage to the coin. Not a cud. PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alphapackwhisper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies! I assumed the marks on the reverse seemed like damages but I guess I still have a lot to learn about all the types of errors versus not.

Thanks again!
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not too shabby for 100+ years. Looking forward to more of your finds!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51566 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well 99% of the time if the mark you are seeing is incuse (below the normal surface height) then it is coin damage. Only 1% are mint errors, as people alter coins so much. But if is is a die issue, the dies are negatives. What does that mean? Well on a coin that is a positive. So if it is raised on the coin, it is incuse on the die and mirrored with devices in the wrong direction:

While this looks like the bust is raised, it is not. It is deep into the die. The fields are the outside of he die. So if you have an incuse die scratch on the die, it will appear as a raised line on the die. So the rims on the coin is raised. Note on the die, there is a what I call gutter around the outside edge of the die. Well that forms the round outline on the coins were are seeing. So if you coin had an incuse, mark there, well it not on the die that way. So someone altered the coin, the die was normal. But is a part of the die breaks off on the gutter:

I simulated if this happened on a die, then it would have a rim cud on that area, because it is lower than the rest of the gutter.

Then it would be raised, because it is incuse on the die, below the normal rim area. So this will help you see that what happens to a die affects the coins struck with a die. But if the die is normal a normal coin would be created, and if something is incuse on the coin, the coin was altered. Hope this helps?

CoopHome: Why are there raised and incuse marks on a coin. Are they all supposed to be there?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5966 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeannine, to the CCF!

Questions regarding error coins? Hit us up!
p.s.- not a good idea to hold your coins in your fingers, especially with newer, shiny coins. Oils from your skin can/might destroy any numismatic value your coin may have. Purchase inexpensive cotton gloves from anywhere hobby supplies are found. Photograph your coins laying them down on a hard surface, and shoot them from overhead. Overall your photos were good, nice and sharp as we like to see! Good job! We look forward to see what else you have to show us! -Leslie

ša va bien aller

Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05