Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hit And Miss - 1878-S Long Nocks (Pictures)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2008  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I've been wanted some examples of these VAMs for some time now. And I hate paying full retail for anything .

I've been the first under-bidder on about four E-Bay auctions recently ... the last one for what I believe to have been an XF40 example of a VAM 60 ... Ouch! But yesterday I scored a VAM 27 in AU. I know, everyone wants pictures. But, you'll have to wait until I get home tonight. This one was a big gamble as the seller clearly states "No returns". But the pictures were decent and I spent hours looking this one over. It's definitely a VAM 27, but until I have it in hand I won't be able to confirm an AU problem-free coin. Please everyone keep your fingers crossed for me.

I just hope no one here was the "First under-bidder" on this one.

Here are the pictures from the auction. I circled the "pick-up points" for this VAM on the reverse photo.

Edited by SeatedNut
12/31/2008 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2008  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2008  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a world-class cherrypick from those images.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2008  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave,

I have a technique that makes it easier to pick out these. I offered to share some time back, but no bites. Here are the PUPs individually:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2008  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, well done.Was this auctioned as a VAM or did you spot this on your own?Sweet coin and the pup's all look good, is there a small die break from the #1 to the neck on the obverse? I hope this is all you were told it should be. please give better pictures when you can, good luck, Mike...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2009  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
morgans dad,

It was unattributed and had little action on 7-day listing until the final 24 hours. Then it had 24 bids with an hour to go, so I know I wasn't the only bidder who recognized it. It hammered at much more than a common 78-S in this condition should go for, but way under what a VAM 27 in AU should fetch. I've seen auction results for these in the past year. VF's were going anywhere between $370~$750.

Just for giggles and grins, here's the long nock I missed out on earlier in the week ...

Edited by SeatedNut
01/01/2009 4:08 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05