Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Coins Errors Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 326Next Topic  

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SnowyCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these two while sorting through bags of change, any idea if these are just errors or fake?

Specifically, I notice the obvious errors on the bottom of the coin on one, and smiler errors on the foot of the bottom lion, and the side of the shield on the other.

Any ideas?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to need better photos. And to the CCF
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SnowyCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly, although I could only get one clearly on camera.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats fine. you should olny post one coin at a time anyway.
It's easier for us to give comments on one at a time
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SnowyCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, what do you think? The one clear error I could see is at the bottom.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly seems to be an error coin - a cud I believe on the coin with the better picture. That is the good news - the less good is that sort of error on modern British coins is not massively sought after.

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SnowyCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second coin I have seems to have some imprinting issues or something similar. There are almost details missing from the lower lion's foot? Could that happen during production or something? My camera just blurs when I try taking pictures or I would show it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8730 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a 10p with a very similar cud:
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SnowyCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is the same year, also has the blurring over the fourteen. Perhaps similar batches?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me as if a chunk broke off the die then and a number of coins were struck before anybody spotted the problem and replaced it.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
794 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something relatively off-topic, the heads side of the coin seems a bit off to me. Does this kind of apperance happen when the dies striking the coin wears off? I sometimes see that sort of strikes through modern circulation coins here in Turkey. They are often minted in hundreds of millions so I thought maybe that is why.
My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
Learn More...
Australia
13644 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Cuds" happen when a piece of the die - in this case, a rather large piece - breaks off. The "hole" in the die creates a raised area on the coin.

The blurring around the date area, that we can clearly see on NumisRob's example, is exactly what I would expect to see for such a large cud. Coins are carefully designed so that their entire design on both sides is imparted at once by the striking. Having such a large piece break away from one of the dies disrupts those careful designs. The "hole" on one side means there's nothing to push against the coin in that spot, so there's less pressure on the opposite side where the hole is, so details show up as shallow and indistinct.

As for value, I'd think that a cud or die chip that was sufficiently large to disrupt the metal flow and resultant design on the other side, would command a premium. How much of a premium I can't say, but it ought to be worth more than face value.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8730 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap - thanks for your detailed explanation!
Learn More...
United States
100662 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05