Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 D Quarter - Kentucky, Possible DDR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 207Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bogiesmokes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all

The word 'Kentucky' looks to me like a DD, but from reading prior posts on the newer State Quarters, there seems to be alot of DDD and Machine Doubling on these newer quarters. Besides the word 'Kentucky', possibly other letters around the rim like the N & D in 'Cumberland' and G in 'Gap' also appear bigger or possibly DD...any thoughts? Thank you

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it seems counterintuitive, because you're supposed to be looking for devices that are enlarged with notched or split serifs, right? Reduced devices are a sign of MD, so why doesn't this clearly enlarged device count?

Because the devices are incuse, rather than raised.

When the devices are incuse doubling will actually make them look smaller because the raised portion of the die that makes the incuse device has been reduced in size during the die making process, which in turn means it makes a smaller incuse device.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bogiesmokes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I made that same mistake on an incused date recently. My apologies, thank you for the reminder HGK and the reply John1!
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what does that mean? Looks Doubled Die to me. Still learning here.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HGK3 explains it well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a doubled die, it is MD.
John1
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this would be like die wear?
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. A loose die.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These devices are incuse. Not raised, so the differences of Machine Doubling on raised and incuse devices are just the opposite as for the raised devices.
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...9452#3421325
Tde DDR's are not on that areas, but on the central areas of the designs on States and ATB Quarters. Obverse earlobes and some motto devices on the obverses. Center of the design on the on the reverses. There are no DDR's on those devices, because it is Machine Doubling.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05