Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 Denver Mint Jefferson Nickel With Discoloration Found In BU Roll.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 299Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1960 Denver Mint Jefferson nickel in a BU roll and am curious about the discoloration on the upper right on the obverse of the coin. Is this some kind of error or just something that stuck to the coin Since none of the other coins exhibited anything similar it peaked my interest and this particular coin was not on the end of the roll, I thought about that as well.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10208 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, that didn't happen during the striking of the coin.
Looks like some sort of stain.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of environmental staining/discoloration.

to the CCF!
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some distilled water and a Qtip and attempted to remove the stain nothing changed and the surface where the discoloration is is rougher than the rest of the coins surface.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10208 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I took some distilled water and a Qtip and attempted to remove the stain nothing changed and the surface where the discoloration is is rougher than the rest of the coins surface.

Possibly something acidy that ate into the surface. Hard to say
exactly what it was unless you were there when it happened.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4325 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exposure to a mildly caustic environmental agent would be my guess--didn't exit the striking chamber in that state..
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect thank you all for the information.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15394 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for the heck of it , try acetone with the Q-tip .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Possible trail die on the reverse. What is going on with the rim on both sides?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morph to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the rim as well but really have no idea there either. When you say trail die, what do you mean?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9636 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of unusual to see such good steps on a 60D.
They look interrupted but kinda scarce.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised that's a BU coin? In a BU roll? I'm seeing gashes (not mint bag marks) . It could be "Trail die" marks on the reverse F and E but could that also happen from the coin being whizzed? I know this has come up lately in coin conversations... but? Or is this a weak struck coin on the obverse with a ton of die polishing lines on both sides?

http://www.traildies.com/jefferson-...960-to-2020/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1720 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.

I have the same question.

What is trail die?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Edited by Dearborn
05/15/2021 8:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1720 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I found a post on this topic from 2017

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=301261

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the question I have is, why are the devices normal, but the die scratches are missing on that area? But the stain maybe hiding the die scratches?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05