Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Help With History For Nice Flanders Fields Silver Coin From Ebay.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
447 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I received this coin yesterday from eBay and really like it. The coin was exactly as advertised, but I really would like to try to get some history about it. It is silver dollar size and very professionally made. I have searched all the sites I know and cannot find another example of this coin. I have attached photos of the edge showing a 'hallmark', the text `STERLING' and a number, 00012. There is also what may be a mint mark or signature 6v on the face. The obverse is a likeness of John McCrae showing the date of 1872 - 1918 and his well known poem is very clearly inscribed. I would appreciate any insight into the history of this coin or any thing similiar.
Thanx

Learn More...
United States
20067 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wanna, here is the numista link, but there isn't a ton of info there:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ex...a181075.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
447 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx Spence.
That is better than anything I have. Kinda makes the 'STERLING', notation bogus, unless Numista has it wrong. Makes me even more curious.
Thanks Again. Dave
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4189 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabfree, there may well have been sterling and copper versions of this. It is easy enough to see if it is sterling.

I think the initial is more likely GV. I wish I could help, but it is often hard to find information on medals. I have a quite a few that I have have drawn a blank with.

Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those edge markings identify this as an issue of the Franklin Mint. The "72" indicating an issue date of 1972, the "P" for Proof issue, and "STERLING", of course, for 0.925 fine silver.

With that in mind I pulled out the Guidebook of Franklin Mint Issues- 1982 Edition which identifies this as the last of a number of special issues by Franklin Mint Canada and Wellington Mint. This medal commemorates the 100th Anniversary of John McCrae's birth. The Guidebook confirms that these were serially numbered so the 00012 means at least 12 examples of this medal were issued. The Guidebook does not indicate, nor could I find elsewhere, the total mintage. Likewise, I've thus far been unable to find out who "GV" might be.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing this. Always fun to dig into these!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
447 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence
@oriole
@PatAR
A genuine Thank You, to all of you. I genuinely appreciate all of your efforts. This is easily enough info to remove any doubts I had of this medals integrity. I absolutely love all things Flanders, but started to have doubts when it seemed it may have been a one-off.
I can now begin to enjoy it. You have also acquainted me with some search sites that I can now add to my tool list.
Thanx again.
Dave
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The knowledge base of CCF always amazes me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05