Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be A Marius Antoninianus?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:28 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Late this week I received a second chance offer on a nice group of 52 Roman Imperial and Provincial coins that had been on auction on eBay. The winning bidder, who has a "Zero" feedback, must not have paid. I was pleased to receive the offer and bought the lot.

Here are the seller's photos of the lot.

I have not yet received the coins so this is all speculation on my part. As I studied the seller's photos an ordinary looking antoninianus in the middle of the top row caught my attention. I hadn't really paid any attention to it when I had been bidding on the lot.

I am wondering if it might be a VICTORIA AVG antoninianus of the Emperor Marius, one of the Gallic usurpers who ruled for a short time in 269 AD.

There are three things which lead to think this a possibility. First is the pug nose on the bust which is distinctive of Marius. Second is the obverse legend. Although the right side is either corroded or dirt covered, I can't tell from the seller's photos, part of what I can read seems to be M AVR, which is known for Marius. Third, the reverse design and legend fit for a known issue of Marius.

I tried the coins of Postumus but didn't find a legend that matched and the bust doesn't look like him. I looked at all the other VICTORIA AVG antoniniani on VCoins and Marius looks like the best fit.

Here is an enlargement of the seller's photo:

Finally, here is a Marius VICTORIA AVG from a VCoins seller for comparison:

Once again, the coins will not arrive until next week so this is fun speculation on my part until I have it in hand.

Thoughts?
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1252 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2311 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.....I actually have this type and they do look similar!..
A shame the encrustations on the obverse are over the area where the Emperors name is which makes it difficult to be 100% sure from the photo but in hand you'll hopefully be able to make it out..
MARIUS. Romano-Gallic Emperor, 269 AD.
Obverse..IMP CM AVR MARIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse..VICTORIA AVG, Victory standing left, holding wreath and palm.
RIC#17...Mint Trier?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses so far.

I will definitely post a photo of the coin once I receive it and see if there is hope of revealing the name in the obverse legend.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3290 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very much like a 'winner' to me !
Very nice looking lot by the way
Either way I am jealous
I am assuming this is a transoceanic purchase ?
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the coins come from a seller in Texas.
Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
05/17/2021 10:05 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05