Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be A Marius Antoninianus?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:28 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Late this week I received a second chance offer on a nice group of 52 Roman Imperial and Provincial coins that had been on auction on eBay. The winning bidder, who has a "Zero" feedback, must not have paid. I was pleased to receive the offer and bought the lot.

Here are the seller's photos of the lot.

I have not yet received the coins so this is all speculation on my part. As I studied the seller's photos an ordinary looking antoninianus in the middle of the top row caught my attention. I hadn't really paid any attention to it when I had been bidding on the lot.

I am wondering if it might be a VICTORIA AVG antoninianus of the Emperor Marius, one of the Gallic usurpers who ruled for a short time in 269 AD.

There are three things which lead to think this a possibility. First is the pug nose on the bust which is distinctive of Marius. Second is the obverse legend. Although the right side is either corroded or dirt covered, I can't tell from the seller's photos, part of what I can read seems to be M AVR, which is known for Marius. Third, the reverse design and legend fit for a known issue of Marius.

I tried the coins of Postumus but didn't find a legend that matched and the bust doesn't look like him. I looked at all the other VICTORIA AVG antoniniani on VCoins and Marius looks like the best fit.

Here is an enlargement of the seller's photo:

Finally, here is a Marius VICTORIA AVG from a VCoins seller for comparison:

Once again, the coins will not arrive until next week so this is fun speculation on my part until I have it in hand.

Thoughts?
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1229 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2284 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.....I actually have this type and they do look similar!..
A shame the encrustations on the obverse are over the area where the Emperors name is which makes it difficult to be 100% sure from the photo but in hand you'll hopefully be able to make it out..
MARIUS. Romano-Gallic Emperor, 269 AD.
Obverse..IMP CM AVR MARIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse..VICTORIA AVG, Victory standing left, holding wreath and palm.
RIC#17...Mint Trier?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses so far.

I will definitely post a photo of the coin once I receive it and see if there is hope of revealing the name in the obverse legend.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very much like a 'winner' to me !
Very nice looking lot by the way
Either way I am jealous
I am assuming this is a transoceanic purchase ?
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the coins come from a seller in Texas.
Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
05/17/2021 10:05 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05