Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Mint Test Token

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 917Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  04:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but hopefully someone is able to help me please. I have recently come across two of these test tokens from the Royal Canadian Mint - I am unable to identify the variety as I cannot find any that match the dimensions. My tokens are both magnetic and weigh 15.5g with a diameter of 31mm.

Hopefully someone here is able to help me in regards to value / any further details about these token - it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39410 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
05/16/2021 04:48 am
Learn More...
United States
19527 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mpe, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm going to move your thread over to the Canadian subsection to get additional eyes on it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1676 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting. As you say, it does not match either other listed test tokens or circulating coinage. There have been lots of mistakes in the test token catalogue over time. I think this is because the pieces are often quite rare and it is hard to double check the data with real examples. Note my string on Ball test tokens a couple of weeks back.

Given the weight and size, I am going to stick my neck out and guess that this was a test token made in 1967/68 as Canada looked at downsizing the silver dollar. This is close to a 1968 nickel dollar at 15.6g and 32.13 mm. SPP, what do you think?

Mpearce8, where did you get these from? That might tell us something.

As an aside, the rare 1965 50 cent test tokens carry quite a good price on them.
Edited by Smallcentguy
05/16/2021 2:55 pm
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Smallcentguy,

Thanks for your reply - I do not actually know where they came from - I purchase a lot of bulk lots of mixed foreign coins and sort through them. All tokens and medals found are just chucked into a jar and I have only just got round to sorting through them.

Sorry I could not be of anymore help
Learn More...
United States
100727 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
9741 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That mint design is too new to be from 1968. I will have to dig into my notes and try to figure this one out. I can't do that right now, I have this lingering problem called "work" that interferes with my hobby!!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1676 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a newer style which I think was in the past first known to be used in 1976. But the last use of old designs was 1965 so it could be from 65 to 76? I guess though it looks a little modern for the 60s. Maybe it was a trial for the loonie that was a slight downsize from the nickel dollar? It looks like you have a reeded edge? Maybe it is of the TT100.14 to TT100.18 vintage but of a different unrecorded size? Still very interesting.
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you SPP-Ottawa, I appreciate your time.

And yes Smallcentguy it is a reeded edge

Thanks
Matt
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there had been any progress in identifying this token - and in your expert opinions would it worth sending to NGC for grading.

I look forward to your replies and thanks again for all your help.

Matt
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1676 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt NGC will go through the trouble of identifying an unknown test token. I am not sure they have the ability. Unless they can identify it I don't think they can certify it. I think you will get some sort of a rejection.

If you are trying to understand value, I would consign one to one of the major Canadian auctions. I think you have a good shot at getting a positive surprise outcome. It is really hard to say what you get, but I am going to make a wild guess at $750 to $1250.
Learn More...
Canada
9741 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sending it to NGC or PCGS would be a waste of time and funds. They only attribute stuff that is in the Charlton Catalogue.

I am coming up blank with my notes... I'd love to XRF it and see where it fits with respect to all the dollar test tokens I have. I am wondering if it was a test token for other countries that the Royal Canadian Mint strikes coins for. There are a number of nickel-clad steel foreign strikes of 31 mm and pretty close to that weight for countries like Tanzania and Venezuela - that said, the Canadian nickel dollar is closer in weight, and that one looks pure nickel.

A dollar "mule" test token hammered at $650 for the most recent Bell Auction, other unattributed test tokens have ranged between $150 and $500 (that I am aware of). I suspect this one is worth between CAN$400 and CAN$800. Without prior auction results, it depends entirely what someone is willing to pay for it.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpearce8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thanks both of you.

Smallcentguy - do you have any auction houses to recommend? I will get in contact and see if I can sell one that way. Thank you again.

SPP-Ottawa - I can send you one and you can XRP it? I know it is probably unwise but you have been very helpful and I do believe you will return it to me once you are done. If there is a private message function on here please message and we can arrange it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3291 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 917Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05