Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Alabama "Tuskegee Airmen" P Quarter, Is This A Print Through?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 433Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  06:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add olflopwatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was given a pile (approx $17) of quarters today, and after noticing that the large majority of them, all but 8, were State Quarters, I googled "collectible State Quarters" and found this site.
There were 15 or so 2021 Alabama quarters, and two of them had a similar marking on the obverse side, a line that follows the edge of the coin about 1 mm inside of the edge. One coin has the marking almost all the way around, lacking it only above Jefferson's head, which corresponds to the "flat" part of the circle around the design above the date on the reverse. The other only has the mark starting at the "LL" in "Dollars" and goes right and up to the end og "WE".
I have taken a bad pic (apologies) that does show the marking in question. It looks like the line follows the circle around the design on the reverse side.
Just wondering what someone with more experience and knowledge than me thinks this looks like.....To me, after reading about the errors on some coins on this board, looks like the circle around the design on the reverse somehow stamped through. You can feel the blemish with a fingernail, and it rises from the face from the center out.....
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10249 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

That line you refer to is caused by a coin rolling /crimping machine and you will find them on the end of rolls. Technically it is damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The damage is caused by the crimping jaws of the wrapping machine. The coins were both on the end of a roll and the jaws made contact with the coins as they rotated. It's sad, but this is becoming quite common on all denomination of coins. I'm not sure if it's one type of wrapping machine that does this or if it's all of them.

It fooled me too the first time I saw it because it matched the design on the reverse of the coin.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
05/16/2021 07:45 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51712 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add olflopwatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone who replied. My knowledge has increased.
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05