Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Notes Depicting A Train:

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 56 / Views: 1,420Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1319 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  09:06 am Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For some reason I thought there was already a thread dedicated to train notes. [Could not find one with a search so starting this one].

Please add your world notes depicting a locomotive, train tracks or anything train related:

Here's a recent pick-up:
On the reverse of this Fiji $2 (P-77). This was a new design introduced in 1980:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
709 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea, @walk2dwater, and what a nice sugar cane train!

I can contribute with this 1918 note from the Vladikavkaz Railway, which shows not only a train with a steam engine, but also a detailed map of the railway. It is a bond rather than a banknote, but it was in fact used much as a banknote. There is a lot more to say about it, and in another post I do.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8728 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea for a thread!
Here's an English 5 note issued in 1990 showing George Stephenson and his pioneering steam locomotive "The Rocket" and Skerne Bridge on the Stockton & Darlington Railway. Designed in 1824 and opened to traffic the following year, it is the oldest railway bridge in the world that is still in use:

Valued Member
Germany
123 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this 1918 note from the Vladikavkaz Railway

A wonderful note with an interesting history! It's on my wish list since a long time...

Here is my oldest train banknote from Peru 1879, P-2a

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1319 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great notes erafjel, NumisRob & Caletan. I enjoyed reading about your about your 1918 note in that post erafjel. That was why I thought there was already a thread on this topic. I want one of the early original 1990 5 NumisRob. Great example. I also like the old 'Dos Sols' from Peru, Caletan. Beautiful design.

Here's an old post of the back of a CDN $10 note which is being phased out featuring a train called the Canadian.

(Cropped view of just the train)
Learn More...
United States
100639 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!

Quote:
For some reason I thought there was already a thread dedicated to train notes
You might have been thinking about this topic...

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=302636
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8728 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 2016 5 note from the Clydesdale Bank in Scotland, showing the famous Forth Railway Bridge:

Completed in 1890 after seven years' work, the Forth Rail Bridge links Edinburgh with the North of Scotland. It is 8,094 feet long and has a central span of 1,709 feet, the second-longest cantilever bridge span in the world after the Quebec Bridge in Canada. It is used by about 200 trains a day, and has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site since 2015:

Close-up of the train!
Edited by NumisRob
05/17/2021 09:48 am
Learn More...
United States
100639 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 2016 5 note from the Clydesdale Bank in Scotland, showing the famous Forth Railway Bridge... Close-up of the train!
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
709 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool notes!

@NumisRob: Stephenson's Rocket, which won the 1829 Rainhill competition, had a serious competitor in Novelty, built by the Swedish engineer John Ericsson. If Novelty hadn't had a boiler breakdown that prevented it from entering the competition, the outcome might have been different (at least that is what they tell in Swedish schools ). I don't know of any banknote with Novelty on it though, a pity ...

Really cool Peruvian note @Caietan, must be one of the earliest picturing trains!

@walk2dwater: The Canadian - traveling with that train across (at least the Western part of) Canada has for long been on my wish list. Maybe I can soon put it on my to do list.

Traveled across the Forth bridge I have though. Our trip to Scotland a couple of years ago included going by train from Edinburgh to Inverness, and I carefully selected a departure that would take us across the bridge (rather than the inland route via Sterling). That is some bridge!
Valued Member
Germany
123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel

Quote:
Really cool Peruvian note @Caietan, must be one of the earliest picturing trains!

It would be interesting to know, which one was the earliest banknote to picture a train / locomotive. Railways were the big issue in the late 19th century. I have two encyclopedias from this period, where this topic "Eisenbahn" takes up tens of pages.

There are some nice US notes on irishpapermoney featuring trains from the 1860s.
https://www.irishpapermoney.com/for...pic.php?t=46
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
709 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are some nice US notes on irishpapermoney featuring trains from the 1860s.

Thanks for the link, very interesting!
Valued Member
Germany
123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A classical note from the Chinese Bank of Communications from 1914 (P-117n)

Valued Member
Germany
123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Caietan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel
You're welcome, nice that you like it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11025 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic notes, everyone! I'm going to have to put all of these on my wish list.

Here is the 1976 Albania 5 Lekë note, with a train on the front. The back has a nice ship so if that one's not in the "Post Your Notes Depicting Ships" thread, I'll post it there too.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8728 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  05:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 Bank of Scotland polymer 10 note showing a steam train on the Glenfinnan Viaduct:

The Glenfinnan Viaduct was built between 1897 and 1899 by the firm of Robert McAlpine & Sons as part of the West Highland Railway linking Glasgow with Fort William and Mallaig. It is 416 yards long and up to 100 feet high, taking the line across the River Finnan. Although it looks like a traditional masonry viaduct, it is in fact built of concrete: wooden boxes were constructed and molten concrete poured into them to make the piers. It has become famous in recent years thanks to the scene in the film 'Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets' where Ron and Harry, in their flying Ford Anglia car, chase the Hogwarts Express as it crosses the viaduct. Although all scheduled trains on the West Highland Railway have been diesel-hauled since the late 1960s, the line is popular with the organisers of special steam trains, such as 'The Jacobite', which make long stops on the viaduct for passengers to take photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
709 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so many fabulous notes!

@Caietan, those Bank of Communications Shanghai notes are quite attractive, have had my eyes on the whole series for a while.

@CelticKnot, interesting note. The rather bulky looking steam locomotive is a Tkt48, originally from Poland, served on the rather neglected Albanian railway network until 1986. It looks more slender in reality.

@NumisRob, did the Jacobite and the Glenfinnan Viaduct as well on my Scotland trip. Didn't know they were on a banknote.

(Yes, trains and railways are another interest of mine. )
Page: of 4 Replies: 56 / Views: 1,420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05