Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question/Help On $5 Gold 1913 Indian Head

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 458Next Topic  

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was wondering if anyone on here can help me understand the issue I see with the year. The 9 and 3 at the tops look like there is an issue with added metal. Is this a error in strike?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated
Pillar of the Community
United States
3241 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is incuse on this coin, and it looks like there are hits to the top of the numbers that partially filled in the space.

to CCF!
Edited by Zurie
05/16/2021 6:31 pm
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't want to stir up a controversy, but that first star looks a bit fishy. Can't find a Google image with the points facing in these directions after a quick search.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/16/2021 7:02 pm
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Controversy is fine as I know these coins are often faked. It doesn't matter to me if it is fake or not as it's gold. But I don't see the issue that you are talking about the stars
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images I've found show the second point on a stronger first star pointing straight to K3 rather than a weaker star (as here) with this point directed clearly at K2. Can you give is the weight?
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry what do you mean by k2 and k3? Are you talking about the first star by the date on the Indian chest?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2142 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Would you be willing to post full photos of the obverse and reverse? That could help figure out what is going on with the date and the stars. Thanks!
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm just getting into pre33 coins and I know nothing about coins just that they are beautiful. I appreciate all the help from this community #128591;
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benny52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I came across this coin that has a similar issue if not the same in the number 9 in the date.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05