Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1831 Capped Bust Quarter In A PCGS Holder

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 654Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2037 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Browning 4, which is usually well struck, hence the sharp curls and detailed centrils and the fine detail on the eagle's feathers and talons. IMHO, there is light wear on the central lower folds of the cap, ribbons, and cheek, as well as on the eagle's beak, top of the eagle's left wing (our visual right) and right talons (our visual left). Add me to the AU-58 parade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1528 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the high points and the first to show any signs of wear on these coins is on the obverse: the cheek which doesn't appear to be worn, the hair just below LIB of liberty which appears to show a slight rub, and the cleavage area which also appears to show some weakness. On the reverse the areas to look at are the tops of both wings which appear to show a little rub and the eagle's head around the eye area which I believe also shows a touch of rub. Nothing like having the raw coin in hand under proper lighting to assess the luster or any break in it but based upon my observations of the pictures I would grade it AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  06:40 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well this one got me too. It's sold a few times at auction, DLRC being one. It's even got a CAC green bean.

Here was the coin at auctions:

DLRC September 2020 for $3100.00
https://www.PCGS.com/auctionprices/...703085472130

Goldbergs June 2018 for $3480.00
https://www.PCGS.com/auctionprices/...681012634458

and previously at Goldbergs May 2012 for $3163.00

It's currently for sale through a dealer for $3650.00

I'd rather have one that had more eye appeal personally, and less marks in the fields. I just don't see how this coin is on par with some of the other 1831 Capped Bust quarters I've seen in MS63. It's one of 59 in MS63 with 93 better. Surprised CAC chose this one to give a bean too as well. I had it at MS61, due to no wear but the marks and scratch prove to me it's been handled improperly at minimum. It's also original surfaces and very crusty but not very eye appealing to me at least.

The price really hasn't moved much considering how many times it's sold. Those 3 sales are just what I found with little to minimal research.

fortcollins you are correct it's the Browning 4 variety.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/20/2021 06:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2037 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wowzers. That's deep in "buy the coin, not the slab" territory.

Thanks for sharing this one with us!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10159 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's deep in "buy the coin, not the slab" territory.

i can see why they came up with that grade. there is no circulation wear on the coin. its well struck with even the clasp monogram there .the only thing missing on the coin is luster. that would keep it out of the MS64 grade. the surfaces are clean from anything major and the eye appeal is not bad enough to drop the coin to MS62 so MS63 was their only choice imo.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05