Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Separate 1936 Buffalo Nickel From Metal Money Clip?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 421Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I've had this money clip since I was a kid, and now I am wondering if there is a safe way to remove the coin from the clip? I'm pretty sure it is superglued on-- don't see any welding or screws or anything of the like. Is there something I can soak it in to loosen the glue or anything? Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11732 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soaking it in pure acetone (not fingernail polish) may free it if an adhesive was used.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Learn More...
United States
19519 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@phan, if you are able to remove this nickel from the clip, you may find that the two sides have greatly different amounts of wear on them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is worth next to nothing removed from the clip. Leave it as is!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely it was 'affixed' a looooong time ago--before the dawn of super glue. Perhaps an epoxy was used. No harm if an acetone bath is pursued. Otherwise, might as well keep it as-is.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep it as it is. But acetone should do the trick.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15378 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Acetone doesn't work in removing the coin you can always try a hammer and chisel .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many options! I mean what if it is the elusive 3.5-legged D Buffalo? If it is truly worthless attached to the clip, I do not think I will ruin it in any manner by removing it from the clip. These are the hard decisions... not sure what to do now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could always have a team of enterprising 15 year olds take a crack at removing it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20246 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it as is.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1936 Buffalo nickel is rather common, regardless of which mint. I feel you have more to lose by tampering with it. Something you had since you were a kid? Not too easy to replace. I agree with those who say leave it be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9733 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If Acetone doesn't work in removing the coin you can always try a hammer and chisel

-or-

All kidding aside, if you must remove it try pure acetone. When confirmed to not be a 3-1/2 legger re-attach and enjoy that keepsake.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it as is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not use it as intended?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If acetone soaking doesn't remove it it is probably attached using a silver solder and it would not be worth trying to remove it because even if you did the coin would still have the solder on the reverse. You could then remove the solder with a nitric acid soak, but the acid would attack the coin as well so what's the point?
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05