Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Starting On Coins. Did I Already Get A Fake Ancient Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 420Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tysteel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone:

I am just starting on ancient coins. I have had an interest in Roman
Coins from the new testament biblical era for a while.

I won an auction on a silver denarius nero coin, but wonder if it is fake, considering that the Ebay auction was private.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39370 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you did. If you haven't paid, don't. Never buy an ancient coin from a seller in Bulgaria. Bulgaria is the epicenter of ancient coin counterfeiting. Further, it is illegal in Bulgaria to sell (genuine) ancient coins. If you want to have some fun, ask the seller if the coin comes with an export certificate from the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture.

Don't give up on collecting ancient coins. There is a learning curve but you will find the hobby very rewarding in the long run.

Edited by Kushanshah
05/18/2021 09:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins with any sort of Biblical connection have always been a favorite for the sellers of fake antiquities
Perhaps the "safest" route for the novice collector would be to find a small group lot of 1st century Judean bronzes from a reliable dealer
Vcoins is probably your safest option
Not the most impressive looking things for the era and there is still no guarantee that they will all be genuine but most of them certainly will !
Fakes do sometimes get "salted" in by someone during exchanges
Don't expect to find a Pontius Pilate but you can certainly get ones issued under Herod and Herod Agrippa
And if you are real lucky you just might find that Pontius Pilate
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23549 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Sorry that your first ancient coin turned out to be a fake, don't get discouraged. In this forum you fill find a lot of information on how to ID fakes along with how to ID genuine coins. I recommend that you read the sections Books, downloads and website along with the section on fake coins.

Avoid buying coins from eastern Europe. Here is a website that sells ancient coins that you can trust. https://www.vcoins.com/
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tysteel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can you all tell that the coin is fake? What are the issues that you see that give it away as fake?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of the red flags.

1.) The coin is a fairly good fake but shows evidence of being cast.
2.) A genuine coin would have sold for $300-$400, not $56.
3.) Most of the coins offered by this seller are obvious fakes.
4.) Offering genuine ancient coins for sale in Bulgaria is a very serious crime.
Edited by Kushanshah
05/19/2021 01:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
871 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a word of reassurance, my first coin was a Hadrian bought from Bulgaria. I returned it with a full refund as I bought it on eBay. Although a little discouraged, I joined a few forums (this is my favorite) and I really did my homework in spotting fakes. To be honest, when first starting out, I would only buy from reputable dealers or sellers and/or certified coins. To this day, I will try to only deal with US sellers. However, I've been opening up to International sellers as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting ancients 7 years ago. Here is the rule I was taught:

Know the coin or know the seller.

Since you don't know either at this point, you need to go with a trusted seller. Start at Vcoins.com or if you stay on Ebay, avoid sellers listed at this link
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/b...opic=18502.0
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
934 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got me curious so I looked this up in past eBay sales and found it was just the 17th of May you bought it. If you did not pay you could just cancel the auction win. If you did pay and he did not ship you can get the refund quicker and if he shipped you have to go though all the wait then the return. But if he wants to keep this account eBay has control of his money and will pay you back even if he does not want to. Unless he drops off eBay but he has had the ID since 2015 it says. Quite a mess of the text in the listing. Has just about as many red flags as a listing can have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184832864260
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tysteel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I contacted the Ebay seller and provided to him a link
of my posting here..and the responses.

He insisted that the coin is real, and that he had inherited
many of these ancient coins through several generations of his family.

I told him that based on what I am reading here, the coin itself, and his listings in general, appear to raise many
red flags. I told him that it would ease my mind if he posted a response to this topic. If he is as honest as he claims, why not?

The seller refused, so I will request a refund...unfortunately it has already shipped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5855 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish people would stop buying coins from sellers listed on the fake sellers' lists. His listing on Warren Esty's list explicitly states "deceptive forgeries of denarii." Warnings don't come any clearer than that.

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/b...opic=18502.0
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05