Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Was Given A Box Full Of Very Very Old Rare Coins (Help)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 924Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moon Goddess to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi I am hoping I am able to find some help or maybe even a point in the right direction, I am new to coin collecting, and was just recently given a box full of old coins, some as old as the late 1700s, a lot from the 1800s, early 1900s, huge bag of wheat pennies, & some old proof sets.
There are quite a lot in the box, I was trying to find a place I could take them (in person) that that someone could take a look at them and tell me what I'm sitting on if possible. Of course I imagine I would have to pay some type of fee for that. Are there any places like that in Sacramento CA?
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might consider taking pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coins and posting in the classic US coins forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are, but I can't recommend any because I'm not familiar with any of them. you can internet search "coin collection appraisal sacramento ca" and then call some of the businesses that it identifies and explain what you have and see about their fees for an appraisal, whether it's for sale, for insurance value, or for an estate value.

I'm gonna be real with you though, a collection appraisal is charged by the hour and the rate isn't cheap and it adds up, so really you'd want to do the sorting and organizing first, and sort them by like the below example, and do not mix different coin types. stick to one type per.

Cents
Lincoln, Memorial Reverse
Lincoln, Wheat Reverse
Indian cents 1880 to 1909
Indian cents prior to 1880
Flying Eagle cents
Large Cents 1793-1857
and so on, anything you don't know or can't find, or world coins, same thing, organize. you want it really organized, if they are in albums or binders or plastic lens sets, leave them there. if stuff is rolled up in coin wrappersleave it as it, separated by baggies or something, coin tubes, different jars, whatever, it's at least some sort of organization.

Another thing, the more of this you do yourself, the less you need to take for appraisal to them and the less time it will take to do it and it will reduce the cost. you could buy a RedBook which will give you a ball park, or look them up on ebay sold listings once you know common name/date and mintmark, then you can rule out the coins that aren't worth bothering with due to low values or poor conditions.

A dealer doing an appraisal has no problem charging you $40-$60-$80 an hour and shuffling thorough thousands of wheat cents looking for a single gem 1909-S VDB for a week.
Just being real, if you bring a jumbled mass of coins in a pile, they will need to sort it, then begin to go over them to identify anything of value and then determine grade and value for it and give it back to you making some sort of sense. On the opposite side though, they may not even want to deal with a mess of jumbled up loose coins and tell you to take your change jar out of their store. it could go either way, if you are going for an appraisal they really expect it to look like it has value and they aren't doing treasure hunting for you so the more work you dump on them, the more it's going to cost you in fees, if they decide to do it.

In summation, you'd really want to be sure the cost for what is getting appraised is likely to be worth it. you also might want to take some coins to certain dealers in the area, and others to other dealers, because some have specialties in certain areas that others don't have.

With a few resources for information, some organizing and some time, you can narrow it down to a few items and separate the wheat from the chaff, and have a general idea what it may be worth all on your own for free. and if something doesn't make sense or needs explaining, or needs looking at, forums like this one has free advice from people and free opinions. :) take them with a grain of salt though, as the saying goes "what do you expect for free?" hahaha

Pillar of the Community
United States
4403 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much agree with all said above. Breaking down the 'collection' and organizing/grouping it in some basic fashion will give you a head start. Feel free to post a few photos here--may give us a better sense for what you're faced with. Sounds like fun!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As someone who was recently given a collection of old coins (not as old as yours) I decided to go through them myself. Mainly to see what was in there. I must say it was more fun than I thought it would be. As I was going through the mound of pennies when I found one I hadn't found before I'd say, "found an '11! Hadn't found of them before!" All the pennies have been sorted, now they just need counted. I didn't try to do it all in one sitting. I worked them an hour or two a night. Sometimes even taking a night off

My newbie vote is to go through them yourself.
Edited by DanFielding
05/18/2021 5:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why bother with an expensive appraiser when there are so many smart and knowledgable people right here who would be happy to evaluate your coins if you would post only one per thread. Clear pictures of both sides of a coin will get you many replies and opinions. Ask for "Please grade and value" in your title along with the date and denomination of your coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why bother with an expensive appraiser when there are so many smart and knowledgable people right here who would be happy to evaluate your coins if you would post only one per thread. Clear pictures of both sides of a coin will get you many replies and opinions. Ask for "Please grade and value" in your title along with the date and denomination of your coin.

Agree with MisterT. It would take some effort on your part but there are people here that specialize in all manner of coinage. I'm excited for you. It's not very often you are given a gift that you can explore like that.

Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
547 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post them on here. It is a lot cheaper and you may learn some more along the way.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question: Are the late 1700s/early 1800s silver? If so, I'd start with those, looking up values, posting them here for everyone to see. Maybe start with old silver that seems to be in good shape (not so worn).
For the American cents, learn the key dates and proceed from there to share pictures!
Good luck! Hope you strike it rich!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7243 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a good resource right here. I trust the info found on this forum more than the "professional" companies by far.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it bigger than a bread basket? Well that don't help - just a pic of the size of what you have may be helpful - sounds to me you are just looking to sell the whole thing for quick cash and not really care about which items may be rare and important?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58377 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'mon, just pick out a few things that interest you and show us some pics to get started.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
C'mon, just pick out a few things that interest you and show us some pics to get started.

Sounds good -
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In case nobody mentioned it. Do Not Clean the coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17388 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a coin club in Sacramento and the members there would probably be willing to help you as well. Sacramento Valley Coin Club. Meeting are normally 2nd and 4th Wednesdays but meeting are currently suspended for Covid. (They are having Zoom meetings)
Website
https://sacvalcc.org/
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 924Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05