Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Original Proof Set In A Custom Built Case Certified By NGC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8243 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  03:31 am Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation ( NGC) has certified a fascinating 1883 US Proof Set that was submitted for grading with a vintage presentation box designed to showcase the coins. The ten coins are in similar condition, earning grades of NGC PF 63, NGC PF 64 and NGC PF 64 BN.

The 1883 Proof Set is notable for several reasons. Three types of nickels were issued that year, and 1883 was the final year that the Shield nickel design and Trade dollar were available to collectors. Other coins in the set include an Indian Head cent, a Three-Cent Piece, a Seated Liberty dime, a Seated Liberty quarter, a Seated Liberty half dollar and a Morgan dollar.

Three nickel designs in one year is certainly unusual. The final issue of Shield nickels was circulated in the beginning of the year, alongside a new Liberty Head design. However, there was a major design issue in the new nickel: While it was printed with a V on the reverse, it lacked the word Cents. A design change corrected the issue and was circulated later that year.

The Trade dollar was first struck in 1873 in a bid to compete with other nations' large silver trade coins, primarily in East Asia. While the US Trade dollar was quickly demonetized in 1876, the Mint continued to strike Proofs for public sale until 1883.

At the time this set was produced, the US Mint did not offer display options for coins. However, decorative boxes like the one submitted with this set could be purchased from outside vendors, some of whom likely sold the coins not far from where they were struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

Though the coins in the set have a face value of only $3.04, the numismatic value is much higher.

To read the complete article, see:
https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...3-proof-set/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall seeing this article right around when it first came out, seeing a 19th century proof set with 10 pieces was pretty awesome, something I'd definitely like to get my hands on one day. A nice representation of many of the early designs of the US
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
United States
4795 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Very cool!
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A set like this would be a dream come true.
Learn More...
United States
34256 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder who it was that assembled this set.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8243 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen quite a few sets like this, many were sold at auctions through Steve Ivy, Bowers & Merena or Bowers & Ruddy, Superior, Stack's, etc. Don't see many any more that haven't been slabbed. I even purchased a few single minor coins from an elderly gentleman back in the mid 80's that had a Indian Head cent, 3CN, and Liberty nickel left in them, all were nice but maybe only PR61 to 63 grades, with some hair lines, today they are probably in holders somewhere. I remember paying under $200 on each coin.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59413 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - good read.
Learn More...
United States
102087 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8243 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a super high end proof set offered through Legend Rare Coins, it's an 1891 with all the coins grading PR-66 through PR68 WOW!

https://www.legendnumismatics.com/p...hed-set-cac/

Of course it has a price to match at $127,500.00

Most of the sets I've seen in auction sell around the $15K to $25K range and are generally PR62 to PR66. You can search Stack's/Bowers and Heritage as well as Goldberg Auctions and Kagin through the Newman Numismatic Portal site and see many of these vintage proof sets sold over the past few decades of sales. Some of the old vintage auction catalogs I have literally have complete proof set runs of multiple years in them. Many of these sold from 1960 into the 1980's once slabbing became a thing in the late 80's the complete sets sadly seemed to disappear from auctions.

Of course the most famous of all the proof sets has to be the fabled King of Siam Proof set. I've decided to make a new post on it after I consult my files on it. I need to cut the lawn here in Texas but it's raining and has rained I think, every single day this month, it seems, today included, so what better to do than write up the roller coaster tale of the most famous and ultimate proof set ever made instead?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Though the coins in the set have a face value of only $3.04, the numismatic value is much higher.

Really? I thought I read that Proof Sets were poor investments, as many of them sell for less than the U.S. Mint issue price? (Oh, wrong "prior" Century - I guess this set isn't from the 20th Century, but from the one prior to that, lol).

In all seriousness, that is one absolutely GORGEOUS set - so VERY special!!!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is that recurring dream you have where a distant uncle passes away and a box mysertiously shows up for you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59413 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Legend set - all PR66-68!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/24/2021 8:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1759 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Very nice, wishful dream for me,

Thanks for sharing
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05