Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling Part Of My Collection

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 2,955Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  9:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After waiting for almost three months, twenty coins of my former 19th Century Type Set are being listed on GC.
Unfortunately, many of those coins turned in Details coins even though they were bought "problem free" from eBay and LCS. Cleary it is Buyer Beware, although moving coins in-and-out of the album might have damaged the coins to the point of becoming Details.
A big surprise however was a 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent that I bought in ANACS XF45 condition that was regraded by NGC as AU-55 BN!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59259 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We wish you the best!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, many of those coins turned in Details coins even though they were bought "problem free" from eBay and LCS.

While oftentimes one saves money by purchasing raw coins instead of coins already graded and authenticated by a major TPS, the risks are as noted, you can end up with coins failing to straight grade. Separately, while we get pleasure from physically handling the old treasures, as noted in the quote it's possible that we can potentially cause damage ourselves in handling raw coins.

Congrats on the 1804 Half Cent upgrade!

Stev
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
05/26/2021 9:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coin left to grade is a Draped Bust half dime. I pray on my knees it comes back problem free. (unlikely I think with the hit in front of Liberty)

Edited by NumisEd
05/26/2021 10:08 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only coin left to grade is a Draped Bust half dime. I pray on my knees it comes back problem free.

It all boils down to the surfaces! I'm rooting for you!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9796 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is "GC"?
Good luck to you.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where is "GC"?

Great Collections, a wonderful and very reputable weekly online auction site that's great for both buyers and sellers. All fees are reasonable, and many thousands of collectors (and dealers) use this site regularly to buy and sell slabbed coins. The coins listed weekly are in EVERY price point and grade, from very inexpensive to super expensive. Great filters to help you quickly find what you're looking for. Their free Coin Auction Archive is a very important pricing research tool, as most of their prices realized are not released for use to PCGS and NGC Auction Prices Realized databases.

I use them religiously to buy coins and do pricing research to help me determine how much to bid at auction, or to use as a negotiating tool when buying a coin from a dealer.

Steve

Edited by Winesteven
05/26/2021 11:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4046 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is GC sending the coins out to NGC now due to long turnaround times at PCGS? BTW GC is a great auction house and I've bought and sold from them for a long time.
Edited by jimbucks
05/27/2021 02:00 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it was the handling. Probably problem coins to begin with that you weren't told about. It's not unusually for old cleanings to get toned over. And TPGs are looking at your coins with a more objective eye.

Post links to your coins here when they get listed. http://goccf.com/f/89

I for one don't have a problem with details coins. Especially ones that old. As long as the issues doesn't take away too much from the eye appeal. Not saying I would pay full retail.
Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After waiting for almost three months, twenty coins of my former 19th Century Type Set are being listed on GC.
Good luck!

Quote:
I for one don't have a problem with details coins. Especially ones that old. As long as the issues doesn't take away too much from the eye appeal. Not saying I would pay full retail.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Post links to your coins here when they get listed. https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...?FORUM_ID=89

I will
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please post the link(s) when the auction starts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9796 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for answering my question on "GC".
Looking forward to links.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20269 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a type set person however, you have my sympathies on attempting to make this set a real prize..
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ed - Good luck. I've plugged all 19 into my watch list. I hope that on many of these 19 you can get at least two bidders who each want the same coin.

I understand, and share your disappointment on several of these, especially those getting Detailed. But that disappointment is now in the past, so taking the current actual grades into account, please share your thoughts with us two weeks from now of the final results.

Steve

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 2,955Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05