Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling Part Of My Collection

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,039Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you mean?

I was still editing. Considering you owned many of these coins for very little time and finding out that many are details. By getting back 70% you still did well ( it wasn't a total loss)

There were coins in the early 2000-2010 that went crazy high as funds started purchasing them , many people way overpaid at that time as the market was hot, we are now in the same place, there are coins many of us are buying that we might not make all of it back. But I look at this as hobby not my retirement. I get to enjoy the coins and I plan on keeping them safely stored and my daughter wants them, so I'll leave them to her in a few decades. If coin collecting is still a hobby many of the coins I have may be worth a pretty penny, if it isn't then they aren't but for now I'm enjoying them and the history they've been through.
Edited by hfjacinto
06/13/2021 10:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if you were a LCS and you lost 30% on every transaction you would be bust very soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4564 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd, I'm sorry the coins didnt end as strong as you had hoped. I ended up being the winning bidder on 4 of your coins, including the Shield nickel you were talking about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you will enjoy your new coins, Adam.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4564 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will, thank you. The 1837 half dime is gorgeous, regardless of the details grade it was assigned. I'm most excited for that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did try to buy coins that had eye appeal and have "circulation cameo".
I think you did well with the final price, considering I paid double for it...lol.
Edited by NumisEd
06/13/2021 10:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Well, if you were a LCS and you lost 30% on every transaction you would be bust very soon.

An LCS is a business they pay wholesale or less and get retail. We aren't a business, heck an LCS makes more money on buying and selling junk silver than a few slabbed coins. They also buy a lot of stuff we aren't interested in, it's not the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last coin to be listed is a Draped Bust half dime. It is with PCGS currently and who knows how long it will take to grade it.
Edited by NumisEd
06/13/2021 10:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like you tracked Numismedia prices very closely on the straight grades and got taken to the cleaners on the three big ticket items that detailed - 1805 10c, 1814 1c, and 1802 1c. (Yes, I looked up sold price and Numismedia on all of them - I'm bored). I don't know what you paid of course but those three seem like they were big gambles.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed. I paid $875 for the 1805 Dime. The 1814 Cent I got for $552 while the 1802 Cent I got for $780.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In short, novices should NEVER buy raw coins on eBay. Better go to a LCS and inspect the coins in-hand, or buy graded coins.

I am a novice, and I buy tons of raw coins on eBay. But to value them I always assume they would come back details of some sort. If someday I slab them and they come back straight graded, then 'bonus'!
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think buying raw online is fine as long as you lower your expectations of what the coin is going to look like in hand and pay accordingly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes indeed. I paid $875 for the 1805 Dime. The 1814 Cent I got for $552 while the 1802 Cent I got for $780.

So the raw sold with BP on those three was $2141 and you paid $2207, which means they sold for 97% of what you paid, even though all three came back Details. I guess I was expecting it to be worse. A few of them did go for more than the Numismedia estimates, notably the 1877 T$1 $395 versus $360, even though it was Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by NumisEd
06/15/2021 12:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8761 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think buying raw online is fine as long as you lower your expectations of what the coin is going to look like in hand and pay accordingly.

Also buying from a well established, respectable and reliable seller. I've personally found success selling coin sight unseen. I grade strict, describe the coins to the finest details, and I've never had a buyer complain once. The coins they received, even having never seen them, were exactly what they expected.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 3,039Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05