Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 P Keel Boat Jefferson Nickel With Major Improper Annealing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 401Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  07:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There were a lot of these errors from 2004. This one is more extreme than most! Got it at auction for a great price. I think because the auction ended an 11am. Really cool coin in my opinion. What do you think?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11836 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting addition.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. What's indicated on the PCGS slab label?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I don't hunt for these I just stumbled across another coin of his. A Susan B Anthony with the same error. I got one of those as well for $26. I'll post it in the next couple days.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59170 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These finds are impressive. Wonder how many similar coins are just rolled up as "ugly and damaged"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Singer I would bet that if it wasn't already graded that there would be conflicting opinions about this coin. I scanned through these on eBay and there is one other with a similar dark spot but not as big. Most of them are listed for double what I paid!
Edited by Willburton
05/27/2021 10:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up Willburton. Yes, it seems there are a lot of these Keel Boat annealing errors. I find these errors to be interesting and am awaiting a possible annealing error in the mail on a 1978 10c (scroll down to check it out).
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally back home and can get a couple closer pictures of this coin. There are laminations on both sides and a trapped gas bubble.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5023 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very neat. I always loved the improper annealments with the copper showing through. Very nice pickup!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Willburton. The price you pay is not bad. Many want those coins.

the both coins you show here with PCGS on improper annealing me I put in question. first the colors and second the dissipation.

the modern mint process is in the follow photo. Where is the red line intervene the plating.

the second coin has plate crack and delamination also. This it is a very nice acquisition. But the annealing which say on the sticker ruin the really value of the coin.

To explain: In annealing the material go from ambiance temperature to 600 deg Celsius. So the copper planchet can change color if past to slow (the heat accumulate and the material change the color to the next level). this change in color of the main planchet will not affect the future of the coin.

The color I see on your coin is very strange copper color which is also strange diffused. If it is annealing must be continuous line not interrupted or deforms.

The first coin you show is strange from the point of view of dissipation. The color are almost OK with the improper annealing of the Nickel (not 100%) but close.

I have your photos and if you permit me I will keep. I have an idea but not for public now, maybe at the end of august.
Edited by silviosi
06/01/2021 7:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52239 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a goofy golf, mint layout?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, you "kill" me with your expressions. At least I smile and put the question if you are an "Encyclopedia" ?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05