Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here's Why You May Find Half Dollars In Circulation Again

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 614Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - Half dollars really haven't been a regular part of circulation for some 40 or 50 years now, but you may soon be finding new Kennedy half dollars turning up in pocket change - or at least bank rolls. As it turns out, the Federal Reserve is ordering 2021 Kennedy half dollars for circulation, marking the first time this has happened since 2001, when half dollars were previously issued for circulation.

The 2021-P and 2021-D Kennedy half dollars are being distributed via circulation, marking the first time since 2001 Kennedy halves have been fanned out to the public this way.

The United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia and Denver are producing both 2021-P and 2021-D Kennedy half dollars for commerce, though exact numbers on how many have been made for these purposes have not yet been released. However, it marks a definite departure from the case of the past two decades, when business-strike half dollars were released only for use in special P-and-D roll sets offered directly from the U.S. Mint, United States Uncirculated Sets, and other products designed patently for coin collectors.

For now, the 2021-P and 2021-D Kennedy half dollars are appearing mainly in bank rolls being distributed through the Federal Reserve. Whether or not this new circulation pattern is a lead-up to a grander effort to get half dollars more widely circulating in channels of U.S. commerce remains to be seen. The question also lingers as to if this is some type of collector-oriented initiative to spur interest in coin collecting, akin to efforts of similar intent with the limited-edition, circulation-only 2019-W and 2020-W West Point America the Beautiful Quarters, which generated sizable interest both within and beyond the numismatic community.

Time will tell what this new half dollar arrangement between the Federal Reserve and United States Mint means, but it's safe to say that collectors have something new to look for - at least when it comes to bank rolls. This also means new opportunities may come about for obtaining high-end Mint State Kennedy half dollars for PCGS Registry Sets and collections, including examples grading MS66, MS67, or potentially even higher. Good luck finding these new 2021-P and 2021-D Kennedy half dollars!
Learn More...
United States
105103 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get all I want at my local bank. This is fake news. No one really even collects these ugly designed things anyway.
Edited by jimbucks
09/17/2021 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That they are being distributed at registers is not fake news. There was a few in McDonald's but I did not ask for them cause the guy at the counter would have took 5min to get it out of there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what the issue is. Base metal, business strike coins are minted for circulation. Big deal.
Wake me up when the US Mint is going to strike hundreds of millions of proof coins for circulation, or God forbid, silver coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15998 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woop-dee-doo ! Our youngish kids of today will not even know what they are . Good grief .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be ironic that the mint thinks there is a demand for half dollars due to the people who are ordering half dollar boxes from banks just to sort through them. Even when half dollars were theoretically circulated, they were not widely used. So in this era of even less cash transactions, they will be used even less. Maybe some hoarding will go on since a lot of people haven't really encountered one in commerce. The only time I get half dollars in change now is at coin shows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check bishftl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found 14 full rolls of gem 2021d in 1 box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The release is merely to meet the demands of commerce, as is the purpose of the mint. Halves are simply making up some of the shortage of quarters. It's a smart and logical approach. Once quarter supply meets demand, halves will go back to sleep, though I'd like that to not be the case.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19151 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because they all are in truly uncirculated condition, it may be worth including at least one example in each cash transaction you make. There may be a collector out there that appreciates a bright and shiny coin of a denomination that is less commonly seen.

Somewhat of a waste of time searching them, unless you are into searching for varieties and errors. Because they are from one batch, there may not be any to be found.

Keep just two of the very best examples that have the least number of bag marks, but I suspect that it may be impossible to find any above about MS-63. That has been my experience with freshly minted Australian coins.

Keep two rolls for posterity, but I don't think they will be an investment opportunity; inflation will see to that.
Learn More...
United States
105103 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The release is merely to meet the demands of commerce, as is the purpose of the mint. Halves are simply making up some of the shortage of quarters. It's a smart and logical approach. Once quarter supply meets demand, halves will go back to sleep, though I'd like that to not be the case.
I agree.

Case in point...

http://goccf.com/t/405184
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one really even collects these ugly designed things anyway.

Quote:
Wake me up when the US Mint is going to strike hundreds of millions of proof coins for circulation, or God forbid, silver coins.

Quote:
Good grief

Just a heads up, there was once a time people thought toned coins were ugly. Even the early capped bust obverse design was considered non-attractive. Look at these coins now... Nobody can say what the future holds, but what isn't collected in the moment usually becomes the most collectible in the future.

But it does sound like the mint could be compensating for it's modern silver dollar disaster and the raising prices of mint products.
Learn More...
United States
105103 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a heads up, there was once a time people thought toned coins were ugly. Even the early capped bust obverse design was considered non-attractive. Look at these coins now... Nobody can say what the future holds, but what isn't collected in the moment usually becomes the most collectible in the future.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 614Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05