Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Fake Of Probus Ric 186 Mpr 330

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 341Next Topic  

Poland
21 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add just_me_paddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
As in title. It's a possible casted fake of Probus' antoniniani.
Look on surface - casted and then painted. Anyway - nice quality.
https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...?usp=sharing
Learn More...
United States
23584 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks fine to me.
Poland
21 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just_me_paddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tip of spear is blured and touches the letters. Surface is quite suspicious. Moreover I couldn't find any examples in the web which were struck from the same dies.
Best Regards
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1824 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is such a common issue that I would be more surprised if you did find examples from the same dies. If there were several from the same dies, which also shared the same wear pattern and shape then we could easily conclude it to be a cast. At the moment I am edging towards a corroded and repatinated original. But I will now keep my eyes open for a match to prove that conclusion incorrect.
Poland
21 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just_me_paddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was very surprised and dissapointed after I opened the envelope. Coin on the pictures seemed fine to me. I found 2 pieces with similiar break letters from titulature. Unfortunately, dies are not the same.
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?lot...lot&sid=4544
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?lot...=lot&sid=354
Seller says that he bought it from old collection in UK. Let's suppose he don't lie, maybe the coin is a casted replica from XIX century?
Best Regards
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18724 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Style (especially in the lettering style), and fabric leave me with suspicious doubts.

The texture of the surfaces remind me of pressure die casting, similar to zinc alloy diecast toy cars. Very constant thickness is not indicative of ancient manufacture.

I agree that it is possible that the coins have had their appearance treated to make them appear as genuine.

As far a s provenance is concerned,
seller has said where they came from, but I would like independent proof of that, not just the seller's say so.
Unfortunately, this sort of independent proof is often not available, even with genuine coins, for many different sorts of reasons.

Although I cannot completely dismiss them as fake, my motivation would be not to buy.
There are lots of other nice Probus coins are out there for your consideration, anyway.

Edited by sel_69l
05/28/2021 09:10 am
Poland
21 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just_me_paddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Provenane" of seller don't persuades me. I consider that coin as a fake, and I will return it. Such a pity, because shippings cost almost full price of genuine coin of this type.
Poland
21 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just_me_paddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's me again!
I spotted another casted fake on ma-shops (VICTORIA AVG):
https://www.ma-shops.com/loebbers/i...id=160729234
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05