Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Info Quebec Militia Button, Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 590Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldrelics57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All, New to the forum. Looking for info on A Quebec Militia button then used as a coin in the early 1800's. I know there is a Montreal button also. Any history, info or articles on this would be great. Picture is below. Thanks
Dave

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40115 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a brief article on the Coins and Canada site that mentions the Montreal British Militia buttons and I would suspect that the other militia buttons of the area were treated the same.
Your picture looks to be the same pic of the example for sale at Heritage, is it?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldrelics57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, It is the same, I'm the one who bought it, from the Partrick collection at Heritage. also have a nice Montreal also.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59415 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, anxious to learn here as well.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your purchase. It is catalogued as MB-4 in The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens, 10th edition, 2020, page 216 as RARE, no pricing.

Quote: "In Montreal, between 1830 and 1870, buttons from the Montreal British Militia, Quebec Militia and the Montreal Fire Brigade were flattened and circulated as tokens. Other British Regiment's buttons suffered the same fate."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8475 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the composition of these buttons?
What is the Breton or Courteau number?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/27/2021 8:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper or brass. No Breton or Courteau #'s noted in the catalogue. The Montreal British Militia has a McL XXV ref #, which I believe is McLachlan but I have no other references to confirm.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldrelics57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldrelics57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I could get a photo of the page from the Carlton book , I sure would appreciate it.
Learn More...
United States
102095 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8475 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
McLachlan says of these buttons,

Quote:
Although specimens of the above are occasionally met with in circulation, they are simply buttons, hastily struck for the raw levies that were raised for the defence of Canada during the war of 1812. On the termination of the war these buttons were divested of their shanks and circulated as change among a people accepting anything as money that had the proper shape and size.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
910 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece of history, what was the value assigned to these?

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8475 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1767 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like they went by size the Montreal British Militia button was the size of a British 1/2 penny.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05