Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Got My First Athenian Owl Tetradrachm.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 552Next Topic  
Valued Member
Spain
91 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've wanted one of these since I started collecting, but it had to be of a reasonably good quality. I recently came into some money and a local auction-house had a few Athenian Owls up for sale. It was expensive but so worth it, now I just have to get a capsule that will hold it. I'm mainly a crown-size silver collector but getting one of these from Ancient Greece has always been a goal. I'm looking to expand the ancient part of my coin collection so if you have any books to recommend, you have my thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40111 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty! I do not know much about them except that a lot of fakes abound. Make sure it is the real deal,and I hope it is.Congrats.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! Very nice! I am always impressed when I see a 2000 plus year old coin that looks that good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive coin with great eye appeal. Congrats.
Valued Member
Spain
91 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. @john1 I got it from a well-known auction house here in Spain, so I'm fairly sure it's the real deal. I did read as much as I could about this particular coin before I placed my bids though. Now I'm looking to get a book about ancient coins, to see if there is something else I could add to my collection. The Sicilian tetra/decadrachms are lovely.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40111 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad to hear that it is a genuine piece,it looks great.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2334 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to browse ancient eye candy, look at CNG's auctions. Beautifully photographed. Take a look at Mysia, the Achaemenids and the Seleucids. The little Mysia obols are exquisite and not expensive....but beyond that the prices can get steep....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18734 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the screen, looks to be an excellent coin to my eye.

Nevertheless, these are often faked, sometimes in good silver. Learn as much as you can about them at every opportunity.
Look at Google images:
'very deceiving Athenian Owl fakes'

Calvary Coins (Canada) has a very good and extensive article of the forgery of ancient coins generally, and what signs to look out for. It will take lots of time to read it all, but well worth the effort for any serious collector of ancient coins.
Edited by sel_69l
06/02/2021 03:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
623 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A superb example, Volvicch. Amazing detail for a coin that has been in existence for two millennia.
Valued Member
Spain
91 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volvicch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. @sel 69l: Where could I go to get it authenticated? A museum?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coin, looks almost too good to be true!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05