Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Coin Or Fake Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  02:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I found this coin among a batch of foreign coins. It looks like an ancient greek coin but suspect it is fake. Never dabbled in ancient coins before so thought I'd post it and see what the experts say.

Weight = 4.6g
Diameter = ~14mm
Non-magnetic.

Thanks
Learn More...
United States
20056 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@david, this looks like a Roman bronze coin to me, so I'm going to move your thread over to the ancients section of CCF. I'm sure that someone there can help you with a positive ID.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1824 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is Roman.
I have a couple to show for comparison. One from the same workshop and one from a different workshop, mine is P (Prima) compared to the OP which is T (Tertio)

Constantius II

Obv:- D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right; B behind bust
Rev:- FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier to left, shield on left arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground at right. Horseman wears a Phrygian cap and bearded and falls forward clutching his horse
Minted in Rome (G | _ //R wreath P). 26th September 352 AD. - 6th November 355 AD.
Reference:- RIC VIII Rome 256 (C)

18.87 mm. 3.46 gms, 0 degrees

and the Tertio....

Regards,
Martin
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Martin. Is the greater weight and smaller diameter an indication that it's a fake or is there a fair bit of variation in roman coins?
David
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1824 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is quite a bit of variation. Perfectly normal.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the response Martin.

David
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2021  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK - Trying to wrap my head around roman coins starting with this one so am hoping a poor soul will be kind enough to answer some more questions.

The ROT indicates the tertio (3RD? officiana) or mint workshop in Rome (R)?
Also, what is the significance of the B on the obverse and the Γ on the reverse?

I think I have located the page in Numista but there is no entry for Tertio. Am I on the right page and no-one has entered it or am I on the wrong page? Also, it says the Γ stands for the third officiana yet it also shows Γ for the 5-7 officianae. Somewhat confused at present.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces143491.html

Many thanks for your help.

David

Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark is actually R(wreath)T, Rome, 3rd officina. The field marks in this period are complicated and not fully understood. There are countless minor varieties. Your coin is of Constantius II, btw, rather than Gallus.

Western mints tend to designate officinae with Latin letters: P,S,T,Q,etc. Eastern mints often use the Greek: A,B,Γ,Δ,etc.

I would not rely on Numista for early coins. Many of the entries are deeply flawed (in my opinion).
Edited by Kushanshah
07/10/2021 06:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3533 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would not rely on Numista for early coins. Many of the entries are deeply flawed (in my opinion).
To a large extent this is because there are, as you mentioned, countless minor varieties, and Numista isn't really built to deal with that sort of thing. (Not just Numista, though it in particular; IIRC in some series it's not uncommon for many varieties to not even be listed in the big-name official catalogs.)

There's an ongoing project to enter all (or all in RIC/OCRE, anyway) Roman coin types into Numista; right now it is up to the reign of Carinus (283-285 AD). It would be interesting to see how it deals with the 4th century.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05