Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1934 1935 Australia Victoria Melbourne Florin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - A close look at the surfaces of this coin makes it clear that it is not genuine.

Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city, was founded in 1835 and named after the British prime minister at the time. It was the nation's interim capital in the early 20th century and now serves as the capital of the southern state of Victoria.

Genuine Australia 1934-35 Victoria-Melbourne Florin

An Australia 1934-35 Florin commemorating Melbourne's 100th anniversary was designed by renowned English coin designer George Kruger Gray. Almost a third of the initial mintage of 75,000 was melted down, and the coin carries a premium today. Mint State examples can sell for several hundred dollars.

Counterfeit Australia 1934-35 Victoria-Melbourne Florin

Recently, NGC received a purported example of this coin. Unfortunately for the submitter, the coin is not genuine. It exhibits very poor details on both sides. For example, the mane of the horse is missing details, possibly because the counterfeiter appears to have overpolished the die there.

Close-ups of genuine (left) and counterfeit (right)

The counterfeit also has rough, porous surfaces, which is especially obvious on the devices. The face and crown of King George V, for example, look pockmarked when viewed under magnification.

Counterfeiters do not limit themselves to any particular country or denomination of coin; they will look for any opportunity to make money.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,Thanks for Info.They have been many attempts to counterfeit this Coin over the years,especially the last 20.
Easiest way on this particular eg is the Riders hand,no detail no fingers.
They are getting better at it with every new eg that appears,shame,stuffs up the Coin Collecting Industry.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19259 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a couple of pressure cast fakes of these, that look very convincing at first glance. They have even made a half believable attempt at reproducing luster.

From all the comments I have heard from coin dealers, all of the most convincing fakes have come from China.

The diagnostics for coin pictured are typical for the fakes that I have seen. Spend some time looking closely at all of the diagnostic features. Some fakes also show skinny legs on the horse. Also check for King's eye detail.

It would serve anyone who is intending to buy a Centenary Florin, that they spend an hour or so looking on Google Images at fakes, as well as genuine examples of these, before proceeding.

Check for ring tone against any .925 stg silver Florin, to test the alloy.
Valued Member
Australia
145 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

and, of course, one of the main standout anomalies is the King's ear and lobe, along with the lack of trailing speckles in the back ground from the rider's torch.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3171 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  02:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the robe at the back does not touch the rim correctly.
Plus notice the A at the top of the coin above the torch is too thick along with the N in Florin.

I learnt this the hard way when I brought mine, and I was accused of having a fake due to a bad photograph.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
788 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To an extent I'd agree with Sal. An hours research will arm most collectors to avoid the typical fake Centenary.
But what about the better fakes? I have them for some of the Geo V shillings and threepences and they were good enough that when I sent 2 different date fake shillings to PCGS they slabbed them as MS65 (I then tipped them off and those 2 slabbed fakes now reside in my special collection). They were made with the right silver so the ring test won't work on quality fakes and they were struck from dies that were near perfect where the fact that they were fake could only be spotted by comparing it to another coin struck from the same die..
So what if they put the same effort into fake Centenaries? An hours research online won't arm you against them, especially as there are at least a dozen different known genuine pairings with nuances that very few can spot and then usually you need to have the coin in hand. So how would you know you are buying a quality fake until it is in your hands? And when it is in your hands you still need to compare it to multiple genuine examples in Unc grade to be sure it isn't a quality fake.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: