Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Will The US Mint Morgan/Peace Dollar Presales Resume?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 598Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  6:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Received some interesting news last week that the US mint is going to "fix" its website, delaying the presale of the final 3 morgans and peace. When do you think the presales will resume?

Poll Choices
  June or July
  August or September
  October - December
  2022 or later
 never

Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they can't do something in time, I would guess they would just relist the remaining 4 all on separate days at least one would hope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... I woke up this morning and went to the Mint site. I didn't see any notice about the delay of the Morgan's release. When it wasn't in the queue for release, I knew something happened. I'm glad that they recognized the problem and will 'fix' it, but what happened and how will they fix it?
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it will be too long, because I don't think they will make any substantive changes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think it will be too long, because I don't think they will make any substantive changes.

I suppose it depends on which story you believe... is the delay because of a true silver shortage, or a desire by the Mint to broaden accessibility and availability to collectors?
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this in another post... looks like the Mint has clarified their position on the 'global shortage of silver', which sounded like breaking news. Now it sounds like there's some two-stepping; but I'm willing to take the criticism for being a skeptic.

Quote:
In a message released Friday, May 28, we [the Mint] made reference to a global shortage of silver. In more precise terms, the silver shortage being experienced by the United States Mint pertains only to the supply of silver blanks among suppliers to the U.S. Mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3517 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver shortage is bunk. They were doing pre-sales for October release.

It begins to look like the Mint is actually trying to fix its website problems. Instead of Joes Garage and Hosting service, the front site is now hosted at Amazon and they have Cloudflare (regardless of what you think of them) in front of the web store.

HOWEVER, testing a web site for scaling is not an easy project.

You first need to define the shopping journey. Since they are tuning a very specific problem, that's easier than it might be for a generalized eCommerce effort. Then you need to define your goals - i.e. 100,000 users attempting to purchase item X in 5 minutes, with only 1% being refused due to site problems.

Then you create scripts in one of a handful of tools that simulate web users.

Execute the scripts. If you reach your goals, you are done. If not, you analyze the site information, make the tuning changes, and execute again.

You may need to push static content (like images) to a content delivery network (CDN) - keeps traffic off your network links and reduces the load on your servers.

You may need to scale horizontally - bigger server. Or vertically - more servers.

You might need to do a variety of tunings of your database.

Even change platforms - switch to a lighter-weight web server program.

Or all of the above.

This is typically a project lasting several months.

Or you can do nothing, as has been suggested above and hope fewer people show up to the party. Which is my bet.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1502 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering they haven't suspended all website sales, I say it's a lie to cover for a failed attempt at a presale that they don't want to cascade with the other presales they had scheduled. The website worked like that for the last two year with no "fixes" so this isn't the problem and the mint has the blanks for the production mintage secured already so it's not silver or material. That leave's just a problem with them and a 4 month wait and credit card orders being cancelled by the card companies as being the "problem" in reality.

The mint doesn't care if the website is difficult or the item sells out in 20 minutes before, so why care now?

They will release them, just close to October so cards won't foul so much. They can't put holds of $850 for 4 months on thousands of cards and whoever thought they could at the mint needs to be fired. You can put an authorization hold on funds from 1-30 days, not 120 days. That's when the mint letters went out and they came to the realization they messed up. When they went to set hold's and saw they couldn't for that long.

That's the real problem they are trying to cover for...

Edited by Big-Kingdom
06/03/2021 06:42 am
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They will release them, just close to October so cards won't foul so much. They can't put holds of $850 for 4 months on thousands of cards and whoever thought they could at the mint needs to be fired. You can put an authorization hold on funds from 1-30 days, not 120 days. That's when the mint letters went out and they came to the realization they messed up. When they went to set hold's and saw they couldn't for that long.

That's the real problem they are trying to cover for...

"The coverup is worse than the crime" almost every time. Admit the mistake and ask forgiveness. The BS excuse only makes it worse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 598Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05