Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay-Managed Payments Will They Need.

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,893Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3952 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole issue is liable to end up in a
Class action suit somewhere down the line .
A perfectly valid question is EBay the BUSINESS collecting
US taxes or the PLATFORM that forces us Ebay sellers
to collect them for the STATE (S) in question.
Every US tax jurisdiction has different rules and exemptions .
Why on earth should we be acting as tax collectors with no benefit
or input .
Sounds a lot like TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION to me .
Edited by Pacificoin
06/22/2021 4:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um.....I would be pretty sure that the reason eBay went to the considerable trouble of adding the tax collection aspect to the platform is because they need to assist collecting the tax or risk running them and sellers running afoul of tax authorities.

If you are a BC seller of anything on eBay or off and sell to a customer in Ontario, you need to collect and remit Ontario taxes unless you are small enough to be exempt. Pacificoin I suspect that eBay is protecting you as a vendor from the risk that US authorities go after you for selling to US residents without remitting proper US taxes. Why do you think that this is going to end up in class action lawsuit? Who is being inappropriately damaged here? All that has happened is that a loophole that let Canadians (or anyone else) sell into the US without collecting sales taxes has been closed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@smallcentguy - I think Pacific is referring to ebay charging FVF on the tax, eg. at 10% tax, ebay is taking an additional 1.33% fee (+ GST on 1.33%) for collecting the tax, where previously, they would only charge FVF on the value of the item and shipping.

There is no protection for sellers, this is purely an additional cost
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pacific - It may be worth contacting your bank on what the hold up is, I use tangerine and I have been receiving same day transfers (money moved from ebay to bank on Tuesday, both weeks so far).

After 2 weeks, I have been about 40% volume of sales in US, 60% Canada, still saving money, but a little less than before. Now about 0.7% (13.35% vs. 14.04%), so still a savings but "international fee has an impact and previously I did not factor out multi item transaction fee savings. Overall still happy with ease and no issues yet. This is after 52 transactions, so it seems like a big enough number to feel confident about it. Though it has been helped along with some high price point items, which further reduces the overall transaction cost percentage a bit.
Edited by purelywasted
06/22/2021 5:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay is charging a transaction fee like everyone else. Visa charges fees on total transactions too I think. It is just a matter of what the user agreement subjects to fees. If you don't like the agreement, you can decline to participate. There is nothing new here. People that develop successful businesses with strong market power push people around. Loblaws charges for shelf space, Google doesn't pay for news, the Canadian banks don'r really compete on price, Microsoft "oversharges" for software (or not?). It is all the same.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1243 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Smallcentguy - Ebay is not doing it like everyone else, Heritage, Stacks, Canadian Numismatic Company, etc... do not charge tax, then a buyers premium. I could be wrong on this, as I have not sold with them, but I highly doubt their % of sale price is taken after they add the buyer's premium (they take a cut off bid and charge a BP). Yes Visa charges on total transaction value, but theirs is only a few percentage points, like Paypal was, it is not 12.35%.

The infuriating part is ebay's "logic" for doing it...

If enough people push back, they may change their policy as the rational that it is "simpler" does not hold water. It is a complex algorithm with all the tax laws, but ebay chooses which field they reference (before tax or after tax).

It will be interesting if people start to add a "ebay tax surcharge/premium" to their invoices. Depending on your margins, a 15% tax jurisdiction and ebay taking 12.35%, could significantly cut your profit margins.
Edited by purelywasted
06/22/2021 9:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The buyer's premium is usually pretax. It is also usually a lot more than the eBay fee. Just a different deal. I would rather pay lower percentage fees in the aggregate than a higher fee on the pretax.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,893Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05