Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Book On Errors By Joseph Cronin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 889Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9846 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  3:05 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For those of you interested in errors, this book on coin errors came out earlier this year. Based mainly on US coinage, this is a large-size, glossy page book with hundreds of color photos and is a must-have for novice and advanced error collectors. Authored by long time error collector and friend, (pictured here) Joe Cronin, this is a real labour of love for the hobby. At 290 pages, it is probably the most in-depth publication on errors I am aware of, and includes a section on how to determine real versus fake errors. Full of incredible colour images of error coins, and vetted by some of the biggest experts on errors (from CONECA), like Mike Diamond, Fred Weinberg, Jon Sullivan, and so on. And, for those not really into collecting or studying mint error coinage, it is still a source of important information about US coins.

It is not cheap (about US$75, includes shipping within the US, added shipping costs to Canada), but well worth it. You can contact the author at: jcro57@yahoo.com

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for posting this--I expect that I'll be sending folks to this thread when they ask about error references.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
Canada
9846 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update. The author is sold out of his copies, but this online store has some left (22 copies at the time of this posting):

https://portsmouthcoinshop.com/prod...oseph-conin/

Also there is a video this store produced (the main discussion on errors and the book starts after a couple minutes):

Xjx9ghJSEuo
5s
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just listening to the Coin World podcast where Joeseph Cronin was the guest. An excellent interview. Really neat to see how the whole process came about, from him only wanting to document his collection for his wife in case he passed away and she would know what he had in the collection, to a complete book. I've ordered my copy, and looking forward to getting it in hand.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c.../cwpod_ep113

Also wanted to add, the author goes into some detail about why the book is so important for collectors even if you don't collect errors, just for the minting processes being described, and that the process changes depending on the era, coins were not made the same way in 1798 that they were made in 1845 or 1985. Lots of good stuff contained in that interview and made me realize this book would be very valuable in my own library for those reasons alone, also the care Joe went into learning to make the best photographs possible also struck home, seeing some copies online sold me. He did a fantastic job in taking the photographs and getting them printed well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/05/2021 10:02 am
Learn More...
United States
34876 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's $80 from Portsmouth Coin & Currency, no sales tax unless you live in Ohio, plus $5 shipping.

They now have one less in stock.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Learn More...
United States
34876 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the book yesterday, and I love it. It has a wonderful section on FAKED errors.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, hoping mine shows up before the weekend, I ordered directly from Joseph, he said it was his last copy and I had him sign it to me. Shipping was free through him so it was even a better deal by $5.00!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My book arrived Saturday after I finished mowing the lawn. So after a good shower and clean up I got a little chance to sit down with the book. First off it's big, (8.5" x 11" and 290 glossy full color pages). The photos are next level quality, lots of them and the color balance is excellent as well.

Looking forward to really getting into reading the entire book over the next week or so. By then I should have "The Coins of Colonial Virginia" by Dr Roger Moore, arriving from Charles Davis, bookseller. My month of book reading is set now.

Edited by westcoin
06/17/2021 10:51 pm
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Nothing like a good relaxing read after yard work.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthews34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thrilled everyone who received the book is enjoying it! Thanks to all of you who purchased one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  04:16 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Matthews34 are you Joseph Cronin the author? If so thanks again for shipping the book so quickly and signing it for me as I requested!

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 889Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05