Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Victoria Canada Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2142 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  10:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Queen Victoria has a problem with her neck.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59280 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well-placed circulation hit?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3703 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, neither of the apparent "lines' look like they would make the throat of an Obv 2. Something funky with the die(maybe something caught in there) or a partial hub anomaly or even some PMD if seen in hand. It would be an error, not a variety. Rocky, I don't know where you get these large cents that you've shown now and before, but I sure hope that you don't give a great deal for them. It's nice to pick up items that you haven't seen before and try to figure out what happened at the Mint and after. Keep studying.
Edited by okiecoiner
06/04/2021 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2142 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all for your input. here is another view same coin.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2142 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this looks like a possible another strike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3703 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, there is a "possibility" that this IS a strike with a DP'd Obv 2 die struck over and Obv 1 die. The lower part of the throat "line" is very similar to the throat contour of an Obv 1. The odd little "tip" that shows under the normal neck truncation point looks like the tip of an obv 1. We need the 1888 guru to see if he's ever seen any like this. How about it Hounddog Bill? I normally don't look very closely at 1888's, but it MAY be a first 2/1 1888 I've seen. I'll have to look at what I have in the 100 or so on the table.
Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well-placed circulation hit?

I think so. Sometime damage on a well circulated coin can appear to be a die defect until you study it closely.

I would also like to hear Hounddog Bill's opinion on this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
909 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coinfroog on this one it's just a well placed gash.
We know what a obv 2 over obv 1 looks like from the 1882 coins and it would look no differently on an 1888 if there was one.
I think the photos are playing tricks with your eyes and this is just PMD.
A 2/1 couldn't possible leave a recessed hole as shown on this one.
It would have to have the rounded jowl of the Obv 1 as the detail of an obv 2 hub fits inside the obv 1 without changing the detail.

Cheers, Bill
Edited by Hounddog Bill
06/07/2021 1:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3703 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only thought that there was an extreme outside chance of 2 different hubs striking a single die. The little blip at the end and under the neck truncation sure looks like the end tip of an Obv 1. I wasn't talking about a planchet being struck by 2 different dies, I was talking about a die being made with 2 different hubs.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
909 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Okie, we're talking about the same thing I should have used hub in place of punch.
I'm talking about two different hubs making one obv.

Ps I'll change my answer above respectfully.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3703 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, I'm heavy in pain killers right now (due to the spinal surgery)so my mind's not working plainly. I initially saw the same thing as you, but then wandered and wondered. Forget my "maybe".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this case we has to give great to Oki. I look and read on article in the English numismatic about those over strike in that period. what I remember is this coin. How many was? no one can say.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2142 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi I have found 2 new varieties in these 1888. they have nothing to do with the date or the queens bust. they are in the inscriptions. so if you know about these please post images. could you tell us the catalog number. if not latter I will contact okeicoiner. to get his help for a catalog numbers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05