Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 Perth Half Sovereign

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 354Next Topic  

Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  05:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add minkersta to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
does anybody known the correct mintage of this coin
it says there are approximately 200 coins survived ,
it's rarer then the 1930 penny , but it doesn't come close to the price
for the mintage it seems to be undervalued
Valued Member
Australia
374 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintage was about 200000.
All or most were exported as bullion.
They are currently rare, but the potential exists for more to come out of the woodwork.
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1801 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an article in some magazine in the last year or two about it - I can't remember if it was the Australasian Coin and Banknote Magazine or Coin News, but it was very good.

It's cheaper than a comparable 1930 penny because the half sovereign is probably the least collected predecimal denomination. Halfpennies through crowns are popular because they are cheap and plenty of people still remember using them. Sovereigns and half sovereigns are much more expensive for common dates and likely no one alive would remember using them day to day (they stopped circulating in 1915 I think). Half sovereigns are probably less popular than sovereigns because it's harder to get nicer examples and there are lots of years in which they weren't produced.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18741 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember David Gee showing me an 1918 P Half Sovereign (which I wasn't interested in at the time, because I already had an appropriate and much cheaper type coin in my collection).

It was about 5 years after that instance that he was exposed as a very dishonest coin trader.

Nevertheless, he had access to the very highest authorities in the coin business when I met him, and the 1918P Half Sovereign that he had at the time looked quite genuine. He remarked that only 200 or so of the Perth Half Sovereign exist. I see no reason to not believe in his opinion, even now,
but as echidna has indicated, it very well could be that 200,000 or more may have been struck and perhaps? almost all have been melted.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
761 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

He was exposed as a very dishonest coin trader.

That's a polite way of describing a forger! And he apparently exhibited adult films! Sel, I hope coins are the only things he showed you!
Edited by David Graham
06/20/2021 10:00 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13734 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't have the same price as a 1930 penny because it doesn't have the same demand. The demand is low because very few people, by comparison, are attempting to obtain a "complete set" of half-sovereigns. Far more people want just one, or just one of each mint, as part of a "type set" of Australian coins, and they don't need or want to pay a premium for the rarest date in the series.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05