Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beautiful 3 Cent Silver - Nicest I've Ever Seen!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,136Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cipster, 90% of my collection is crusty old coppers too, that might change if I won the lotto however. I too appreciate the nicer looking shiny things, but my heart is with the Colonials, early American coppers and my Two Cent Pieces.

The reason for sharing was I kept going back to the auction to look into some of the many colonial coins and I of course check the Two Cent Pieces out every time, never know what you'll stumble across, and this coin just called out to me as amazing each time I saw it, until I went back specifically to look at it alone, then I saw the price and thought yeah, nope not for me, but still it's dang amazing. That concentric toning must have come from storage in a velveteen box made for proof coins or an old coin tray favored by early 17th and 18th century collectors.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/07/2021 11:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold! And another unbelievable price of $38,400.00 I thought it was pretty close to the high price when I first posted it around $10,000.00, I knew it would be expensive but I thought $15K maybe $17K at the top end, guess that's why I don't write for the Greysheet, or make market pricing up.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
06/14/2021 6:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zounds!
Learn More...
United States
102132 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sold! And another unbelievable price of $38,400.00

My car is almost twelve years old. I have been toying with getting a new one. Priced one out the other day, maxed out the options just to see. It would still be cheaper than that coin!
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone think it may be worth grading this 3C and offering it at a S&B auction?

http://goccf.com/t/395452
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jaberwoke - assuming it doesn't detail grade, I'd assume a sell price or $180-280 on that coin, factor in the price to slab it $40+ and the 20% they will take at a minimum for fees for selling it, I'd say no.

Your best place outside of selling yourself in hand to hand transaction would be through Great Collections IMO, that way you aren't paying any fees beyond the slabbing and shipping the coin, which would probably be around the same cost as selling on eBay (again though with no guarantees of selling price). You could always set a reserve minimum price or place a buy back bid - again that results in a higher fee.

It all comes down to how much do you need to recoup out of it and how badly do you need the cash in hand? Depending on what you paid I don't see any great ways out of this where you make a handful of cash. The coin just isn't that spectacular like the one in this thread, grade and eye appeal. When those two factor come into play on a coin and they are the top end of eye appeal and grade then the coin will also (usually) bring a top end price. But it needs both of those factors.

In just PCGS there are around 425 in population straight grades in AU50 through MS62 probably close to the same in NGS and ANACS so unfortunately it's never going to be one of the "rare" coins and the grade falls well short of the top end grades for 1851 at MS67.

Just my honest opinion, I could be wrong, I still like your coin and would be happy having it in my variety collection, put you wouldn't like the price I'd want to pay for it I bet.

Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is just stunning. What a beautiful coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,136Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05