Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worried About Counterfeit Slabs After Recent Incident While Selling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 608Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  07:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jasons coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently went to a local dealer to sell a high grade 3 cent nickel and he said it was counterfeit mainly because it had a raised bump on the face. Luckily the coin had images at PCGS, matched exactly with the PCGS images and the second dealer I took it to determined it was authentic and made a fair offer. I own quite a few valuable coins most of which do not have PCGS true view and the incident has me worried counterfeit slabbed coins are a more severe problem than I realized. Hopefully I haven't accidentally bought any. How common are authentic looking counterfeit slabbed coins? I added pictures of a couple coins I own. All cert numbers and barcodes are valid. Is there anything to worry about with these two?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3073 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake coins in fake holders are on the market. Your coins look genuine. If your coin looks genuine and the grade appears correct, label looks correct, cert number verified, barcode matches, you have a genuine example. There is a little more exposure to the old PCGS holders being faked because there are not many photos to match up with on the PCGS site. If you buy PCGS or NGC holders from reputable dealers. it is unlikely that the coin is fake.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20287 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fakes are so common today and not just coins. You really never know and it is amazing at how even many dealers are fooled. This might even be a fake web site.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2142 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs are becoming more common. The usual suspect sites in China sell complete do-it-yourself-fake-slab kits, including slabs and inserts. Some of them are close enough to fool buyers on eBay and other online sites.

There is no substitute for in-hand inspection. If the coin doesn't look right, doesn't match the grade or description on the insert, can't be verified online, or if the holder looks and feels wrong, or the fonts look wrong, be very concerned. Even so, people can and do disagree on some of them.

The reputable TPGs have a strong interest in not having their slabs counterfeited. PCGS has an online gallery of its holder types. NGC readily looks at high resolution photos of suspected fake holders. ANACS has done the same. In my experience, all are wonderful to deal with on this issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent in a fake 1889-CC $ in a fake slab to PCGS,
telling them I thought it was fake and got a nasty letter back.

One other thing I learned is that the fake slabs will usually
not stack with genuine PCGS slabs, and the color of the plastic itself will
look different than the real deal. Might help.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fake coins in fake holders are on the market. Your coins look genuine. If your coin looks genuine and the grade appears correct, label looks correct, cert number verified, barcode matches, you have a genuine example. There is a little more exposure to the old PCGS holders being faked because there are not many photos to match up with on the PCGS site. If you buy PCGS or NGC holders from reputable dealers. it is unlikely that the coin is fake.

This!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Learn More...
United States
102095 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and the color of the plastic itself will
look different than the real deal.

If you are comparing color make sure you are comparing it to slabs of the same generation. Not sure about NGC but the color on PCGS plastic has changed at least twice.
Gary Schmidt
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jasons coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses - some good information there. How common is a raised bump on a genuine coin and how much of a red flag is it? After the drama while selling the 3CN I checked my other coins and only the 1880 cc shown above had a similar bump. Here is a picture of the 3CN with cert #25065213
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 608Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05