Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Wading Through A Hoard Of US And World Coins That Began About 1905!

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,716Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

triggersmob: Thanks for the tip, Steve. Good to know, as there are probably a dozen of those in this mix, all looking pretty good conditionwise. I hadn't gotten around to checking values on any of this stuff yet...I guess Numista is the new KM? (Along with eBay and other auction results?)

Princetane: Good to see you're coming around a bit. I noted earlier that I'd been tripping over the sort of material (key dates, 19th century, commems, etc.) you mentioned in your latest post...still haven't even opened the rolls of Morgans or the Barber minors, or the old mint/proof sets. The stuff I scanned yesterday was all pretty much hanging out loose in random containers.

Speaking of "loose," I feel like Scrooge McDuck in his vault, just running my (cotton-gloved) hand through piles and piles of old coins...haven't encountered anything in these quantities in many years. No gold has turned up yet, so I presume the original hoarder and his son found a way to dispose of that decades ago.

Last night's revelations were a Civil War token, a few boxed Vietnam-era naval medals (some celebrating the USS Shangri-La decommissioning and the 6th Fleet's presence somewhere), and a bunch of old modern-size $1-2-5-10 bills in an envelope, so I guess anything's still possible.

Overall, though, my forecast right now is that after I've separated out the numismatically worthy coins the bulk of this project is going to end up as silver bullion. I don't think anyone involved in its ownership (my friend and her kids and grandchildren) is going to be much interested in schlepping it around to local coin dealers or becoming eBay sellers.
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2804 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all I hope is they never spend another night in a deodorant tube, its time to slab all the classics like Capped Bust anything, Seated Liberty Anything and what looks like an early "Turkey Buzzard Eagle" (pre 1798) coin under seated Liberty.

And at least the others get proper flips.

Am glad they look clean (Sometimes they may not have got rid of all the deodorant/after shave residue and 50 years in some Monsanto nightmare juice from 1970 can be bad on a coin).

Can't wait to see more!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just spent a couple of hours rooting around in Box #3, which was full of odd containers like recipe/index card boxes, glass jars, a ladies' shoe box, etc. The first snapshot below shows a recipe box full of mixed paper rolls, pill bottles, and some "real" coin tubes (for a change). Not seeing any more non-USA stuff, so I guess those deodorant tubes were the extent of it as far as world material is concerned.

The Shield nickels are showing up with and without rays, but so far they're all pretty uniformly fair-vg at best.

The Morgan and Peace dollars shown below are just the first handful I grabbed out of the shoe box (Capezio, size 6M) where they were packed tightly in vertical piles of 25 pieces with crushed butcher paper filling in the overhead space, so they haven't been sliding and bumping into each other. Some -- like the 1880 pictured here -- appear as though they might have been polished years ago, but the vast majority are unmolested. BTW, that toner at the lower right corner of my photo below is a 1928-P, one of the key dates in the Peace series. Six of the others are mintmarked D, S, or O. No CC's yet, and no Seated Liberty specimens yet.

On the whole, the dollars are in fabulous condition compared to all the minors I've been inspecting. I started collecting in 1955, so I understand all the reasons for that, but I just wish these three "accumulators" had been a little more discriminating when it came to these hundreds upon hundreds of silver minors! I'm estimating an average grade of F for all the dimes, quarters, and halves here, and they cover a span of 80+ years, Barbers through 1964.

To be continued, I guess. There's so little here that requires any kind of deep dive that I should actually have all the sorting and my friend's summary (with my guidance to her) finished up in a week or two.

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Late update on Box #3...

All the mint and proof sets I've unpacked thus far are post-1964, multiples of most dates, so I'll be eyeballing them closely for those tough no-mintmark varieties. Some, like the Bicentennial Proof sets, clearly state on the mint packaging that they're "silver," but my trusty Red Book begs to differ, calling them "clad" instead.

The paper currency is all ho-hum, indiscriminately assembled piles of Silver Certs and United States Notes, and Federal Reserve bills, with not a single CU specimen to be found. On the brighter side, there are an even dozen rolls of Unc (or better) 1964 JFK halves, so at ten bucks apiece in melt value...

After a while, this gets to be like work!

Learn More...
United States
102099 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice mix!

Seeing an Ike makes me happy.

Quote:
Some, like the Bicentennial Proof sets, clearly state on the mint packaging that they're "silver," but my trusty Red Book begs to differ, calling them "clad" instead.
The three coin set shown is 40% silver clad (Cladding is 80% Silver 20% Copper, core is 79% Copper 21% Silver). The six coin sets (with cent, nickel, and dime) are Cu-Ni clad.
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know what they say, jbuck: If you're happy, I'm happy!

(...which puts me in mind of an old Seinfeld episode -- or maybe it was Taxi -- where I first heard the New York City version of that: "We're not happy 'til you're not happy." Oy.)

Edited by daltonista
06/14/2021 11:55 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2804 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Group love to see the classics in those tubes.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
532 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stories like this are always fun and intriguing. Thanks for sharing the pics. I had a similar experience assisting a lady friend sort through her stash. She had me appraise and liquidate the "collection" for her. Some members here were recipients of those coins.

Daltonista, the first thing I noticed in your original post was your clean writing. Are you a writer?

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Took little time off from this chore so I could focus on my own collection. Now I'm gradually getting a little more intimate again with this old hoard I've been assigned.

Just wanted to slip in these three photos to illustrate what I'm up against...I mean, what I found in the leather pouches, which are rawhide on the interior and measure 5"x7" with a width when full at about 2.5". I'm showing the Lincoln cents here because, based on a few survivors, I believe most of them were minty fresh when they went into storage 36 years ago. I don't even want to think about the Indian Heads and CWT's that ended up destroyed in the other pouch. So, first a pouch and then a tiny sample of the hundreds that were stored in it, followed by a smaller extract from that group portrait.

Best to all ~
Tom
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Daltonista, the first thing I noticed in your original post was your clean writing. Are you a writer?

deadmunny, nice of you to say so! I guess I was able to pick up a thing or two during those 40 years I spent as a teacher, dean, and statewide educational administrator, all settings where everyone's communication skills are in use every day.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"We're not happy 'til you're not happy."

I thought that was a Don Imus quote.
Learn More...
United States
102099 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just wanted to slip in these three photos to illustrate...
Oh my!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,716Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05