Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins And Medals That Depict A Statue

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,277Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22772 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ukraine 2017 Angel bullion coin. Archangel Michael statue in Kiev, Ukraine

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9256 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting topic!

Statue of Johann Strauss, the composer, in Vienna, on an Austrian 100-schillinng coin:

A rather poor photo of the same statue, taken by me from a moving streetcar in 2017:
Learn More...
United States
103978 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9256 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
French bimetallic 10-franc coin depicting the Genie de la Bastille by Augustin Dumont:

Enlarged from a photo I took in 1994:

This statue stands on top of a column that was erected on the site of the old Bastille Prison, demolished on July 14, 1789 at the start of the French Revolution. Appropriately, the statue represents the Spirit of Freedom. It was actually erected in the 1830s to commemorate the overthrow of King Charles X. It replaced the decaying stucco elephant that had been erected after the Revoloution and was re-created for the film version of 'Les Miserables'.
Learn More...
United States
103978 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
French bimetallic 10-franc coin depicting the Genie de la Bastille by Augustin Dumont:
Excellent!

Quote:
Enlarged from a photo I took in 1994:
Well done.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6432 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Nice add!

At some point, I hope to add the 2017 silver 10-Euro proof coin that features the Genie de la Bastille statue. It has great design detail and selective gold-plating on the statue. I have the Statue of Liberty coin from the series and am happy I do!

2017 Genie de la Bastille Silver 10 Euros

(Image courtesy of Monnaie de Paris.}

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
103978 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I like the "bi-metallic" look, it is well done here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
794 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin I have shown before in other threads, but since we seem to have some focus on Place de la Bastille, and this statue was the first one raised there, here goes again.

The Bastille was torn down following the storming of it by French revolutionairies on July 14, 1789 - the start of the French Revolution. A few years later The Fountain of Regeneration (so, a fountain strictly speaking, but I think it can pass as a statue ) was raised where the Bastille had stood - today's Place de la Bastille. It models the goddess Isis, with water springing from her bust.

The coin (which is from 1794, and completely monometallic ) shows the memorial ceremony held at the fountain/statue on 10 Aug 1793, one year after the storming of the Tuileries Palace. Then the "Festival of Unity and Indivisibility" was held with representatives from the government (the Convent) and the departments around France. The water was drunk under ceremonial forms, symbolising the national regeneration.

The statue, being made of plaster, didn't last long. A few years after the event it was gone.

In place of photos from the event, there is this engraving by Charles Monnet (who illustrated many events from the revolution).

Public domain, courtesy of Wikipedia.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6432 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel: Neat token! Thanks for posting it along with the accompanying background and image. It's all very interesting and makes for a great history story/lesson!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
103978 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05