Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ID Help Please: Possible Ancient India Coin (Id: Mid-15th Century Gani Of The Bahmani Sultans)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 333Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Barber Halfling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All. This one has me stumped. It was labeled as a Delhi Sultanate coin, but I don't find anything like it. Any help is appreciated.

Weight is 16.3g
Diameter varies from 21.6mm to 22.2mm
Thickness is 5.71mm
Edited by Barber Halfling
06/08/2021 9:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

For best identification results, the weight to the nearest tenth of a gram and the diameter to the nearest millimeter are very helpful. I don't attempt to ID most Indian coins without these, so if you'll provide these I (and others) can give it a try.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Barber Halfling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, of course, I should have added weight and size.
I edited the original post with weight, diameter and thickness.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding weight and diameter info. A search of the Zeno database revealed that, accounting for different dies and striking positions on the flan giving some variation, your coin matches a gani of the Bahmani Sultans

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=121907

Shams al-Din Muhammad Shah III, Goron & Goenka BH114.

There is a partial date at the bottom of the second photo, most likely 87(2 or 6).

Edited by Seeker55
06/08/2021 10:13 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Barber Halfling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks, you nailed it!
That looks like a mighty handy database.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are many cases where the die is larger than the flan.
Devices on the coin vary in placement.
Making it difficult to identify.
I recall a case where I bought a "well centered strike".
Trouble was that the date was closer to the edge on the die, so it wasn't readable on the coin in hand.
Learn More...
United States
23589 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3538 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
most likely 87(2 or 6)
I'd have guessed 6, 2 would have a straighter line at upper left.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05