Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Question For Those Of You With A 1995-W Proof ASE.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  03:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i regard the '95-W proof as the Big Daddy coin of the series. I have yet to acquire one. I think about my options for that acquisition as most likely being either my buying the four-coin gold proof set w/ASE or buying the '95-W proof ASE slabbed. I'm more inclined to want to go after the set.

so my question for those of you who hold that coin is: did you get that coin with the gold coin set or did you get just the ASE in a slab or otherwise? if you got the set, did you get it new, when it was first issued by the Mint?

just curious.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9623 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure it is a W mint mark on mine. I only learned today that there is both a P and W proof in 1995. I would guess no since mine are in the typical box for single proof issues.
https://libertycoinservice.com/wp-c...-dollars.pdf
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
06/09/2021 3:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I only learned today that there is both a P and W proof in 1995.

yeah, that '95-W proof was only issued with the '95-W 4-coin gold proof set.

and thanks to your post, TNG, I discovered an error on my ASE inventory list. thanks for pointing that out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9623 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome Pinkster!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1118 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't own one, but if it were me looking to buy one I'd research the individual price and that of the set. While the set would absolutely be much more, when breaking it down by the coin the set may lower the overall cost of the single. I found that this strategy works when looking for one or two coins and ended up buying the set.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're looking for a nice quality 1995-W Proof, my advice would be to forget about the five coin set. I looked for my 1995-W at three different large coins shows. What I found was that the uncertified silver eagles in all of the sets had significant problems. They all would have graded low. I was wondering why this was and then it dawned on me. The really nice coins get certified because the PF-70's are worth so much while the lower grade ones are kept in the sets. All of the high grade ones that I looked at were certified. I saw PF-69's and PF-70's. The PF-70's cost too much relative to the PF-69's in my opinion. In fact, most of the PF-70's that I saw were not perfect. Many had spots or unsightly toning. My guess is that these spots or toning happened after the coins were certified. Even though I was not looking for a certified 1995-W ASE, I ended up purchasing a PF-69 because the particular one I found looks perfect and the price was right. I have no idea why it graded PF-69, but I'm definitely happy with the PF-69 price and could honestly care less about the grade. The only thing that I don't like is that it's the only certified ASE that I have. I'd rather have it in the OGP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you're looking for a nice quality 1995-W Proof, my advice would be to forget about the five coin set.

yeah, it'd be nice to have the full set, and I wouldn't mind so much shelling out for the thing- after all, it does contain 4 gold coins, too, and it's hard to look past including those in the collection. however, some of my thoughts lean toward skipping the set.

Quote:
I looked for my 1995-W at three different large coins shows. What I found was that the uncertified silver eagles in all of the sets had significant problems. They all would have graded low.

i have yet to go looking for the coin or the set, but I assume exactly what you are saying here. I've been around the block enough times to know that if I buy a set from some retailer without the benefit of seeing the coin (the ASE) in-hand I'm pretty sure i'll not be happy it.

Quote:
I was wondering why this was and then it dawned on me. The really nice coins get certified because the PF-70's are worth so much while the lower grade ones are kept in the sets.

yep. that's been my assumption. I learned that lesson pretty quickly. how? easy: careful examination of the packaging of other ASEs I've nabbed over the years. (mind you, however, I have no idea what the coins of that '95-W proof set are sitting in inside the box... I don't know if it's a fake-velvetty plastic thing or a sturdier housing) when buying coins from retailers (vs. directly from the Mint) I've noticed that the small plastic holder (inside the OGP, the fake-velvetty little thing the capsuled coin sits in) is a tell. if you're careful & patient enough you can easily remove the capsuled coin from that holder without messing up the plastic, ie, not leaving creases & dents in the plastic thing. if you get an ASE from a retailer all you have to do is carefully pick the coin & plastic thing from the box, flip it over & examine the bottom of the plastic thing. if it's creased or dented, the coin has been removed from the plastic at some point while it was in the possession of the retailer. obviously they go looking for the coins they think will grade high. if they find one, they'll remove it & replace it with some other coin that they feel will grade lower, for whatever reason. in other words, the coin in question has been examined prior to you or me taking possession, and oftentimes the retailer will mess up the little plastic holder, leaving it creased & dented, and leaving the buyer (you or me) feeling somewhat... violated, and leads one to feel ripped-off. I don't like that feeling. it kind of reminds me of a time when I was in a new school in a new town (my 3rd grade) and standing in the lunch line. there were large trays with cupcakes on them. most of the cupcakes had holes pushed into the frosting. kids were sticking their fingers into the frosting of ALL the cupcakes to gauge which ones had the most frosting. gross kids, sticking their nasty, boogery fingers into the cupcakes, the gluttonous little snotbags (insert barf emoji here). that's what I think of when I find a coin in it's OGP where the holder is creased & dented on the bottom because the coin dealers are scouting for hi-grade coins & most likely running off with them & replacing whatever they took with an inferior coin. unscrupulous cretins. sorry about the gross story, just trying to convey my feelings.

Quote:
All of the high grade ones that I looked at were certified. I saw PF-69's and PF-70's. The PF-70's cost too much relative to the PF-69's in my opinion.

i concur, although my 'looking' is limited to retailers online. the nearest coin shop is in miami, 150 miles away. anyway, yeah, the difference in price is ridiculous.

Quote:
In fact, most of the PF-70's that I saw were not perfect. Many had spots or unsightly toning. My guess is that these spots or toning happened after the coins were certified.

that doesn't surprise me to hear. you're probably right. 1995 is a number of years ago, those coins have had lots of sittin-around time, which is part of what's required for coins to naturally tone, spot or somehow otherwise become less-than-perfect, even if in a slab.

Quote:
Even though I was not looking for a certified 1995-W ASE, I ended up purchasing a PF-69 because the particular one I found looks perfect and the price was right. I have no idea why it graded PF-69, but I'm definitely happy with the PF-69 price and could honestly care less about the grade.

i, too, will not be looking for a potentially high-grading specimen, just a decent-looking coin.

Quote:
I'd rather have it in the OGP.

me, too, but i'd likely have to do some traveling to locate a good one. right now that would be next to impossible. who's to say what the future holds, tho.

thanks for posting your thoughts & experience, Bret.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem. I'm happy to help. There will eventually be another big coin show in Miami or Orlando. I'd wait for that and have cash ready.
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd research the individual price and that of the set. While the set would absolutely be much more, when breaking it down by the coin the set may lower the overall cost of the single. I found that this strategy works when looking for one or two coins and ended up buying the set.

yep, been there & done that. thank you, Ballyhoo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There will eventually be another big coin show in Miami or Orlando. I'd wait for that and have cash ready.

yep, that's part of the working plan.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05