Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anomaly On A 1915-D Lincolin Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  11:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up on eBay just for my collection. While looking at under my scope I saw this anomaly next to the L & I in liberty. I don't believe it is the DDO-001 as the mint mark seems to be the only pick up point that I have found. Could be wrong has been known to happen. I just wanted to get some of your opinion's and thoughts on it. Thank You.

Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking coin td. This is no doubt odd. I crossed it with Wexler's, Coppercoins and VV's examples. VV has the best pic that matches up with the L and I on yours but like you said, the MM position does not appear to match up on any of the known examples. Yours looks like an EDS, IMHO. I'm seeing what looks to be a slight MAD on the obverse but that wouldn't matter about the MM. Interested to see what the experts say.
Edited by Scuba1
06/10/2021 12:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a EDS. The die is showing die wear. Confused did wear, because of the wider rims. But still a nice coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop so this is just a die wear issues and nothing more. I'm not sure I have heard of confused die wear before could you explain and or a link to read on this.Thanks Tracy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mentioned this on a thread a while back. The extra wide rim altered the normal die wear on the these 1910-1918 cents. Normal wear would appear on the side that is closest to the rim. On these it was on the opposite side of the devices:

Note when it reached the 1918, it was showing wear on both sides of the devices?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Examples like this:
https://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/2...351_2200.jpg
Extra large image, do not open on a cell phone.

Seeing them side by side shows the differences in the sizes of the devices.
That is my term. When you look at the die wear between normal and extreme, you only shake your head as it doesn't makes sense. It took me a whole to realize what was different then and then today. It was the wide rim. It makes the dies on all sides of the devices, confusing us trying to figure it out.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
06/10/2021 3:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thanks for the explanation I see what you are showing on the dates. I just don't understand what caused what looks like a u under the L & I. I know the learning never really never stops. I have a 1915-D with the numbers that look like the one's you posted. I just don't see it on the coin I posted. would you have any pictures of this effect to liberty by chance. Thank you. Tracy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one the same year as this coin:
It maybe from the same die? But note how much larger the devices are on this one:
https://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/8...472_2200.jpg
Another extra large image to not open on your cell phone.

Just checked the mintmark location is different. So it is not from the same die.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
06/10/2021 7:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop that helps. Thanks for searching for this and coming up with a home run. Tracy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used that site a lot for coins I need images of. Seeing them side by side, helps to pick up size differences. It helps me figure out "what is going on with this coin". I load it on my usually choices each time.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05