Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited 1500 Coins! 1shillings & Half Pennies And More! Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 293Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add larcher89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I have inherited a rather large collection of coins, mostly old half pennies and 1 shillings, 6 pence, new half pennies, and some other coins. I have no knowledge wen it comes to coins but as these were my late fathers I need to have them valued for his estate. We discovered them by chance when clearing his house out. They have been logged in a little book and has at least one to. 60 coins for every year from 1885-1967

If there any any kind people on here who can help me determine whether there is anything I should be looking for I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Luke.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39421 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Give it a bit and members will help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8738 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi larcher89 and to the Forum!

What you've got looks mostly like common pre-decimal and obsolete coins, which aren't of much value. However, there could well be some more interesting items amongst them - for instance, pennies dated 1950 and 1951 and any 'silver' coins dated before 1947 are worth many times their face value!

For decimal coins like the Half New Penny that are no longer legal tender, you can find details here:
https://www.checkyourchange.co.uk/
For pre-decimal coins, you can try Numista. Here, for example, is the page on Elizabeth II old pennies:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces858.html
There is a reasonably cheap catalogue called 'Coin Year Book' that is sold by larger bookshops including WH Smith, and you can also check eBay for recent sales. Look at the 'sold' prices rather than what sellers are listing their coins for.
Please don't try to clean any coins, and handle them carefully by the edges (especially if they are in nice condition). And feel free to post photos of any coins on the Forum and we can give an opinion - preferably one coin per query!

I'm afraid that most circulated pre-decimal halfpennies and shillings dated between 1947-1966 are the sort of coins my local dealer tosses into his 'junk box' of coins for sale for 10p each...
Edited by NumisRob
06/10/2021 6:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9636 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done NumisRob.
I'd be making short sets. Nice bunch of coins.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you find a 1933 penny I'll give you a fiver for it.
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Quote:
If you find a 1933 penny I'll give you a fiver for it.
Do not forget our Buy/Sell/Trade Rules.
United Kingdom
16 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add filmstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice say goodbye to the next few days armed with a magnifying glass, eyeglass & microscope, could be a couple of little surprises in there. If you get bored Ill gladly take them HA and following Saxons post I could go up to 10 if you find a 1933 Penny PMSL.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2639 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will pay $100 for a genuine 1933 British penny.

Thats 50.84 at the current exchange rate.

Seriously, I would search that lot for interesting dates, then choose the best example of each year, and sell or biff the rest. The joy of bronze pennies is that copper is a high rate at the moment, each penny has about 5p worth of copper in it and a scrap metal merchant would buy them off you.

Looking at the box, seems to be mostly post 1930 material which is mostly super common. Again if you find 1950, 51 or 53 penny you are doing well.

I also endorse everything NumisRob says.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
06/11/2021 11:58 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
202 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find, though would be a shame for these to go to a scrap metal merchant when someone clearly put an awful lot of time into assembling it. Would urge you not to have them scrapped, though I do tend to get sentimental about these things.
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would urge you not to have them scrapped, though I do tend to get sentimental about these things.
I agree. I feel the same way.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05