Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 P Jefferson Nickel / Satin / Fs?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 556Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
399 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon. This coin appears to have a satin finish and "Possible" full steps?

Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a proof nickel, full steps are the norm on proofs.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15394 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree , 1964 business strikes have little to no steps .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the rims. This is a business strike coin. A proof coin would have wider rims on it.

Did you know that sometimes the markers for a proof coin can include the die scratches on the rims? (Not on the edge, but on the rim that is part of the die)

Quote:

1964 1 Pr WDDO-036
Description: A close CW spread from a pivot at 10:00 shows on the date.
Die Markers: Obverse: A die gouge can be found on the bottom right side of the base of the bust. Reverse: A die scratch runs across the rim above the ERIC in AMERICA. A small die gouge dot can be found to the right of the right cornice.

http://www.doubleddie.com/779197.html
Note the third image.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/10/2021 7:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thank you for breaking that down for me. I dont know much about nickels or collect them other than a few that were given to me In collections like this one. As for full steps, what is the criteria, and does this coin make the cut? Thanks....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect these, but I feel that it is not what the obvious answer is is. The lines for the steps. But the risers. I tried to figure them out by looking at their listings, and that was the only thing I could come up with. So I don't bother with these. Somethings are not what I enjoy. This is a strike issue. I collect die varieties. But here is what I determined about them:

So for what it is worth, here it is.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39418 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OPs'coin sure looks like a proof to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a proof:

Side by side proof and business strike.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
06/10/2021 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9636 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to see a different image of a 1971 No S Proof nickel.
I have mine as an avatar for quite a few years now.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39418 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If MS and full steps,in MS65 $187. If MS66 $1,030.00.
http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinp...proof=&plus=
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11744 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  04:41 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to press the issue, but that is most definitely a 1964 proof nickel.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51647 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the edges maybe damaged a bit then. Making them look reduced in size. That was what I was seeing on this one. Normally they don't look like that. (That was my distraction)
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
399 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
COOP, There is no color variation between the fields and Jefferson/Monticello like there is with a proof so it would be a business strike? I have proofs and that's how I compare them....am I wrong?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39418 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be considered a brilliant proof.
John1
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every once in a rare blue moon Coop is mistaken. Mainly because hes whipping through dozens of post a day with his vast knowledge of just about everything. Still, not too bad for a guy who's right 99% of the time and has like a million posts. Certainly a proof though unfortunately, as if it were a business strike- that would have been a spectacular example. Nice coin nontheless.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05