Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Coins And Banknotes Of Fiji!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 5,308Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Features of a Series D note

$5 Obverse

1. An object of some description at bottom left.
2. UV Signatures on the note for the denomination and also around the Reserve Bank of Fiji Logo
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note207854.html
3. Fiji in bright letters with pattern
4. Even older portrait of the Queen facing (First Type only, later an animal or bird)
5. Sizes are differentialised.

$2 - 121mm x 67mm - Green
$5 - 136mm x 67mm - Pale dark brown
$10 - 141mm x 67mm - Purple
$20 - 146mm x 67mm - Blue
$50 - 151mm x 67mm - Vermillion
$100 - 156mm x 67mm - Pale lemon yellow

Series A to C all featured banknotes the same size regardless of denomination.

Backs of all the notes feature a scene and often wording for left 3/4 and the last quarter is clear for watermarks and value in numbers.

The watermarks are much bolder.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Winding these notes up for you!

Governors and signers of Type D/E notes

2000/09 - Savanuca Narube
2009/10 - Reddy (No first name, but Reddy is an Indian surname that sounds English like Mistry, Masters, Tailor etc) - as its one year notes of his signature are likely rare.
2010/2017 - Whiteside (Likely European or Mixed Euro/Fijian)
2017/now - Faizul Arif Ali (Indian Muslim, many Indo Fijians are Muslims being from Gujarat - a very Muslim part of India on the border with Pakistan).

$2 Note - I don't have this, colour is Green, object on front is a Mohar which looks like a gold sovereign coin on a gold hoop type thing (Probably an Indo Fijian artifact worn by Girmit (Indo Fijians). The back of this note shows happy children of many races.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note207854.html

This note was not issued for the 2012 reissues as it was now a coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$5 note - My example

$5 Obverse, Pale dark brown colour - Kato ni Masima at bottom left (Food container I think made out of bark). Symbol of bank next to it, large numbers - smiling Queen and Narube signature

$5 Reverse - Not best shot - but shows Fiji Banded Iguana (Same as the $1 coin - Vokai), Balaka Palm and Masiratu flower at right. Note condition is AU/UNC

$10 note

$10 Obverse- I Buburau Nibete artefact, wood carving that looks like bird shaped bowl/tray. This note you may notice is more worn as I bought it in a bulk lot of notes. Note is larger than $2 and $5, purple colour, another watermark foil thing at right found on high value notes.

$10 Reverse, a curious scene showing an old Hotel called the Grand Pacific in the past. Cars look early 1920s at latest (Very tin pot) and scene is 1925 or so. Also Joske's thumb, a local mountain and palmed up beach scene.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more note in this series!

$20 Obverse - The note is a light blue colour but a sharp rich shade of it. The artefact is a Toa which is a wooden artefact that looks rather (susso). The foil watermark design is even more elaborate and again a different pattern next to the Queen. Narube signature again.

$20 Reverse - Industries are showcase here and quite well - We have the logging of hardwood and some mining (Possibly gold).
Mt Uluinalukebevu (What a mouthful!) in background behind a sugarcane train and looking again I see an assembly line with what looks like some type of fruit or vegetable on it. Although Canning is a common industry in Fiji for corned beef, fruit and even Coca Cola.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the $50 or $100 for obvious reasons (No excuse not to have the $2 note, but plenty of excuse here, the UNC $20 cost me $28 so imagine what the big notes would cost!)

Descriptions and links to images of these high value banknotes!

$50 obverse - The note is that reddish orange colour of the older $50 Obverse. The object is a Wasesekeka, a sharks tooth necklace and the watermark design is again elaborate and like a flower.

$50 Reverse - Cultural cermonies including the presentation of a Tabua (Like the one on the 20 cents) - The tabua is attached to Magasi (Coconut fibre) cord with cowries and called a Tubetube. Also shown is the Yaqona Vakaturaga - the Kava ceremony and here elders are in traditional dress with a large Tanoa in view. Mountains and trees along with a bure complete this scene.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note207861.html - $50 note

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note258236.html - $100 note

$100 Note - Obverse The note shows a Kula chain necklace used in trading, (Buli Kula(, Kula is a system of amiable trade that extends from Fiji to Papua New Guinea (The Melanesian Papuans like Arawa and Motu people of the south coast), Solomon Islands and Vanuatu. the watermarks are ina shield shape and the symbol of Reserve bank is shown. Colour is a faded cream yellow.

$100 Note - Reverse - This note has a lot of detail, we have an atoll island at top left, happy Fijians holding a guitar with afros and flowers. A map of the Fijian islands in middle, divers at bottom and a yacht at top (There is a lot going on here!).

The numista links also have images that enlarge these notes really well!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Series D2 Notes 2012 - now

In 2012 with Fiji getting the boot out of the Commonwealth for their addiction to coups, banknotes also got the redesign due to Her Majesty disappearing. The changes with the exception of the $5, were mostly trivial however.

Wildlife replaced Her Majesty on the front and stronger and bolder colours were used, however Reverse designs remained the same as earlier series D notes.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note204442.html
$5 note - this changed to the Green colour now as the $2 note was history, it was also issued in Polymer, the rest of the notes remained Paper for now.

Animals/Plants on note obverses

$5 - Kaka (Kandavu Banded Parrot) same as the 20c
$10 - Beli (A tiny river fish)
$20 - Kacau ni Gau (Albatross/Tern/Booby like seabird)
$50 - Tagimucula Flower (Yellow petalled droop flower like a Kowhai)
$100 - Nanai (Fijian Cicada Insect)

The $5, $50 and $100 were issued in 2012, with the $10 and $20 released in 2013. I would have them if it was not for our pandemic which gives Foreign exchange counters no excuse to sell them
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Series E notes 2017 - now

You could say there is now a Series E being released, so far its just two notes but time can bring more. The current D2 series is 8/9 years old and designs up to 14 years old (Although I am sure Fiji's Covid issues have put note redesigns on the backburner for now)

The most well known of our Series E Fijian Banknotes is this

$7 Rugby 7's note, late 2016 or early 2017

$7 - Reverse Captain: Osea Kolinisau running with ball and Ben Ryan contemplating (Same as 50 cent coin). Blue background and Fiji7 in detail. Fijian Flag flying proudly, detail of note is vertical rather than horizontal. Whiteside Governor signature.

The note was issued for the Fiji Rugby 7's winning the GOLD medal at the Rio Olympics in 2016. the denomination of 7 suits it too as its 7 a side. But a one off this is not and some 5 million were printed, yes many were sold off as souvenirs but at least 4.5 million are circulating in Fiji alongside the $5 to $100 notes of Series D2.

$7 - Obverse, the team with medals and coaches and supply staff all smiling. Ben Ryan at top. Fijian patterns in background, symbol of Reserve Bank and gold coloured 7 at bottom right.

Definitely a world first to have a $7 note and one of the few issued because of a sporting Victory. Samoa also issued a sporting note in 2019 based around the South Pacific Games - an event in which Fiji takes part in!

I have labelled this note Series E, as it looks nothing like the Series D and D2 notes in use and it uses full colour.

The 50 cent was also issued with it (Showing it again).

You may recognise some of these scenes!
Edited by Princetane
07/22/2021 06:02 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2020 Note issue - Series E

Fiji got a second Polymer note in late 2020. This time it was to celebrate 50 years of Independence since 1970.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note239781.html

To be honest, this note is a travesty! The obverse is fine with the flag raising ceremony, but the back showing running and giggling children is beyond ridiculous. I think its a set of 3 pairs of Indian, Fijian and Chinese kids although its possible the girl at right is White and the "Fijian" girl is Polynesian.

Again like the $7 note we have full colour with a greenish tinge. But unlike that note, I have not seen any evidence of it circulating and mainly sold only as a souvenir item.

The watermark is the Clocktower in Suva showing 10am the time the Fijian flag was raised for the first time back on October 10th 1970.

Also issued was a 50 cent coin.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces239779.html
Coat of arms on one side and coloured flag design on the other. I need to get one or 10 of these.

I believe both note and coin were released on October 10 2020, 50 years to the day since Independence was achieved.

The denomination of 50 fits in with the number of years.

Thank you to Redlock for bringing this note to my attention.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1836 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately not, but the pages are small, about 160 x 220mm,it that helps.

Quote:
I think I know, my coin group gave away a pile of them. It is Coin and Medal World, a British publication that is still going strong. They were a smaller format in the pre 1990s period.

I have several issues from 1967, 1978, 1982, 2001 and 2020 and they all have ads for various mint offerings. I am basing my comments on the ads being 1983/84 and my November 1982 issue is A5 size (215mm by 152mm).

Thank you both for the information.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1409 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The note was issued for the Fiji Rugby 7's winning the GOLD medal at the Rio Olympics in 2016. the denomination of 7 suits it too as its 7 a side. But a one off this is not and some 5 million were printed, yes many were sold off as souvenirs but at least 4.5 million are circulating in Fiji alongside the $5 to $100 notes of Series D2.

-According to our CBC Olympic coverage (in Canada) the team all carried a $7 note to Tokyo, on their way to a victory & 2nd gold medal. Now it makes me wonder if they'll issue a new version for this years Rugby 7 team's win.
Edited by walk2dwater
07/28/2021 08:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
677 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now it makes me wonder if they'll issue a new version for this years Rugby 7 team's win.

Congrats to the fijian team for their 2nd gold medal.

I think this win is deserving of a new note and/or circulation commemorative coin. I am fairly certain the Reserve Bank of Fiji agrees
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There could be, maybe a $14 note this time, although this victory is marred by the 26,000 cases of Covid 19 and the fact 3% of the population now has it.

I feel a focus on this may distract the government from the problem at hand. Bainimarama has been absent lately and his popularity is slipping. Rumours of Opposition Politicians and Journalists being seized by the army are also surfacing too.

Meanwhile my latest additions

This aEF example completes my line up of KGV Fijian Shilling coins

The 1934 Florin, this EF example is another first year piece and now completes my 1st year set of Fijian coins!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3185 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope they do release a coin in Fiji to celebrate this latest win.

Nice additions PrinceTane.

Here are some better photos of the 1983 and 1984 coins that I added recently.

Some examples of the 1983 coins

and some of the 1984 coins.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
07/29/2021 06:51 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2964 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look nice - none of that circulation and probably never been to Fiji. straight from Singapore to Australia and hopefully soon - New Zealand!

Fiji winning that medal was great, but I am bit muted given it was at the expense of New Zealand and we are not exactly setting the Olympics alight so far - just 4 medals.

Still Fiji played very well and deserve that win!
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 5,308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05