Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denarius - Authenticity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  05:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys

I just wanted to get opinions on this coin as to it been genuine or not.

Also it looks partially clipped was there a reason that happened?

Cheers Jay

Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Q. Minucius Thermus M.f. Based on the surface, I wonder if it may have been zapped (electrolysis). I would guess it's chipped rather than clipped. Maybe crystallization?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Q. Minucius Thermus M.f. Based on the surface, I wonder if it may have been zapped (electrolysis). I would guess it's chipped rather than clipped. Maybe crystallization?

HI Bob

Thanks for your reply! I've been reading your posts and your knowledge is truly incredible buddy.

I don't know much about electrolysis techniques to be honest.

I read somewhere that the silver content in the republic denarius was far higher than the days of the empire especially the 3rd and 4th century. Sometimes older Denarius like this example were clipped in a way that still left the coin and its lengends in tact usable.

The clipped silver was then used to put into silver washing later antionious coins? Which in the later empire were marked XXI to mean 20 parts bronze, cooper etc to 1 part silver?

Is any of the above facts or just one person's considered opinions or a load of rubbish.

Im collecting / learning about Empire era coins I got this because I felt the price was resonsble and I liked the image which I'm guessing are gladiators in battle? If not its still a cool image.

Thanks again for your input Bob.

Cheers Jay
Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps you are right and the coin is clipped. But I tend to associate clipping with cleaner cuts that seem intentional. Here, for example, is one (a Parthian drachm) I used to own, probably cut to verify it was not a plated counterfeit.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps you are right and the coin is clipped. But I tend to associate clipping with cleaner cuts that seem intentional. Here, for example, is one (a Parthian drachm) I used to own, probably cut to verify it was not a plated counterfeit.
Click to see a Larger Image!

Thanks Bob I have a couple of coins with similar nicks which I assumed was someone in ancient times cutting a nick into the coin to ensure it was genuine all the way through.

I guess the difference with this coin is the clip is big enough for a small bit of silver to be removed and potentially used elsewhere whilst only taking a small amount that allows the original coin to retain its function?

Cheers Jay

United Kingdom
40 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with Bob L. It looks to have broken (which often happens), with the crack continuing through the coin. Crystallisation would be a good reason for it to crack like that. And perhaps someone ran a plough over it 200 years ago. If so, it must be genuine as no-one would fake crystallisation.

People very often trimmed silver off coins to melt down, but I don't think they would've cut out big sections as they needed to pass the original coin off as unadulterated - otherwise what was the point of cutting it?

Coins were worth the value of the silver in them, so if you took a 1/3 of the coin away, the recipient would likely only accept it as 2/3, and you'd gain nothing from doing so.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crystalization is easy to see if you look in the crack itself with a side view. Care to hold it to a bright light and take a photo inside the edge of the crack itself?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
55 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymassive79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Crystalization is easy to see if you look in the crack itself with a side view. Care to hold it to a bright light and take a photo inside the edge of the crack itself?

Does this picture help Louis?

Cheers Jay
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that was not clipped, it just broke out. You are close to some amazing photography if you had just pulled it back a bit as you notice the back of the coin is in perfect focus so just half a cm away more from the camera and you were there. It is best to get one camera you trust and set it for extremely close photography. Then never change it and use it for anything else but your coins. At least that is what I do, along with a rock I place the coin on and hold in the air with 5 incandescent lights of different wattages while I turn around in a circle holding the coin and camera in the air until I see the best photo. Then open in Photoshop, crop it, adjust the contrast and brightness then save below 300 kb for posting on the board.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
06/12/2021 7:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1252 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rough surface texture may itself be the result of crystallization.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05